Are they overpriced compared to their relative counterpart brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
. Best of the bunch but some tend to think overpriced. That is their contention and I have to say I have heard them and others contend that.

So some people contend that. So what?

Some people contend that we never went to the moon, some people contend that elephants are gods, some people contend that aliens control Earth. So what.

Believe what you want, I'm especially fond of the alien ruling Earth conspiracy theory just for its sheer amusement.

If you need to hear your friends and colleagues, whoever they might be, tell you that you're the big winner with your choice of guitar, well, that's all well and good, but you'll have to suffer their opinion when they don't pat you on the back for what you chose.

My professional opinion, as a player who gets paid to do the work, is that PRS are a good choice, and I've felt this way since 1991. Plenty of other opinions are out there, pro and con, about every instrument in existence. And in many shapes, and many stripes and colors.

Come to this forum, and some people don't like Gibson QC and think Fender CS are overpriced junk. Go to the Gibson forum, and folks think PRS are furniture. Go to another forum, and you'll get a different answer. Why people have to be so obsessed proving that their choice of personal instrument has to be somehow "better" than everyone else's is a source of constant mystery to me. Beyond that, it's annoying as hell.

Who cares what other players think of your choice in instruments? It's all useless opinion. Let them argue about your choice of underwear, motor oil, and blue jeans, and given the chance, they'll do it. If it matters that much to you what other people think, then hand other people your wallet, and let them shop for you.

If you would prefer to make your own decisions, as you already have, then you can't worry about this stuff.

And if that is offensive, well, fine, but it's the frigging truth. Moreover you know it and you're persisting with this nonsense.

And who the heck are your "clientele" that you keep referring to? If you're a guitar dealer, your answer should be obvious. If you're a session guy, then give Grissom or Mason a call and ask them.

Sheesh, this stuff just gets old, we hear it over and over and over and have on this forum and previous PRS forums forever. It's nonsense concocted by trolls, and I have no patience for it any more.

I should mention that I've had custom shop Gibsons and custom shop Fenders. All fine, all more expensive than PRS. And all were replaced by PRS except the '65 SG Special I learned to play on way back when.

Proves nothing. Mine is just one more opinion, more drivel and compost for the pile.

Last edited:
I own two great Gibson Historic's, but bought and sold over 25 and played twice that many in my quest. Funny thing is, they still have a few flaws and niggles, but play and sound so good.

I own three Fender CS, two of them Masterbuilt, and the story is pretty much the same. Went through A LOT of them before finding my grails.

I own five simply incredible PRS, and have owned five others along the way. Like nearly every PRS I've picked up, the quality is unsurpassed and they sound and play like the products of the extensive R & D that they are. IMO they're a bargain relative to equally priced guitars from G and F.

I have never own Gibson or Fender although I was desperate to get the right one. I have tried my hands on many of the G and F, regardless of the price, and still could not find the right one.

I have tried just a few PRSi, all are great instruments both in term of "build quality" and "sound". I own 2 of the magical ones that pass through my quest and that was the end of it.

In my opinion, PRSi are not overpriced, especially when compared to the G"F counterparts. But that is just my opinion, nothing more.

I tried a few LPJs this weekend and personally wouldn't buy one, but the guy at GC said they usually sell at a good clip. I also tried out a very nice Les Paul Studio that at about a grand I'd have bought in a second if I was looking for an LP, but it's been on the wall at Sam Ash for quite awhile with buyers going for the inferior but cheaper LP models. So the price of something is fine as long as someone is willing to pay for it.

So some people contend that. So what?

Some people contend that we never went to the moon, some people contend that elephants are gods, some people contend that aliens control Earth. So what.

Believe what you want, I'm especially fond of the alien ruling Earth conspiracy theory just for its sheer amusement.

If you need to hear your friends and colleagues, whoever they might be, tell you that you're the big winner with your choice of guitar, well, that's all well and good, but you'll have to suffer their opinion when they don't pat you on the back for what you chose.

My professional opinion, as a player who gets paid to do the work, is that PRS are a good choice, and I've felt this way since 1991. Plenty of other opinions are out there, pro and con, about every instrument in existence. And in many shapes, and many stripes and colors.

Come to this forum, and some people don't like Gibson QC and think Fender CS are overpriced junk. Go to the Gibson forum, and folks think PRS are furniture. Go to another forum, and you'll get a different answer. Why people have to be so obsessed proving that their choice of personal instrument has to be somehow "better" than everyone else's is a source of constant mystery to me. Beyond that, it's annoying as hell.

Who cares what other players think of your choice in instruments? It's all useless opinion. Let them argue about your choice of underwear, motor oil, and blue jeans, and given the chance, they'll do it. If it matters that much to you what other people think, then hand other people your wallet, and let them shop for you.

If you would prefer to make your own decisions, as you already have, then you can't worry about this stuff.

And if that is offensive, well, fine, but it's the frigging truth. Moreover you know it and you're persisting with this nonsense.

And who the heck are your "clientele" that you keep referring to? If you're a guitar dealer, your answer should be obvious. If you're a session guy, then give Grissom or Mason a call and ask them.

Sheesh, this stuff just gets old, we hear it over and over and over and have on this forum and previous PRS forums forever. It's nonsense concocted by trolls, and I have no patience for it any more.

I should mention that I've had custom shop Gibsons and custom shop Fenders. All fine, all more expensive than PRS. And all were replaced by PRS except the '65 SG Special I learned to play on way back when.

Proves nothing. Mine is just one more opinion, more drivel and compost for the pile.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I have had a Gold top CS and have a Gibby premium plus as well as that Gem of an Avatar. Also an ES 335. Different animals the lot of them.

As as stated earlier, some of my clientele seem to think that the QC on Gibby has declined for what you get, that the Fender Bolt on necks are a cheap way to go and the PRS are for fancy boys.

I happen to to love the QC on the PRS . Best of the bunch but some tend to think overpriced. That is their contention and I have to say I have heard them and others contend that.

I'm looking at the thread title and the OP and this and I'm wondering, what part of PRS company sponsored forum is tripping you up?

Les is correct, this is a trollish thread.

I'm looking at the thread title and the OP and this and I'm wondering, what part of PRS company sponsored forum is tripping you up?

Les is correct, this is a trollish thread.

I disagree. Tracy had a legitimate question and asked for some feedback. I for one enjoyed reading the opinions from people like Tag. AaeCee, and Aristole who have vast experience over many years playing many different guitars.

I for one subscribe to the idea that guitars, amps, and gear are merely a means to and end. The end being music. One is not going to make you a better musician than the other.

It seems the general consensus the the OP’s question is:

- PRS are not overpriced compared to comparable guitars of other makers. Especially if you are into fancy wood and paint. Great guitars, fair price.
- PRS has higher build quality and in general better quality control.

I whole heartedly agree with the first point but not necessarily the second. I consider all my instruments perfect 10’s. I can’t point to any of them a say “oh there’s a flaw” or “there is some sloppy workmanship”. If that were the case I would not have bought them.

Personal preferences and opinions, the spice of life!

I disagree. Tracy had a legitimate question and asked for some feedback. I for one enjoyed reading the opinions from people like Tag. AaeCee, and Aristole who have vast experience over many years playing many different guitars.

I for one subscribe to the idea that guitars, amps, and gear are merely a means to and end. The end being music. One is not going to make you a better musician than the other.

It seems the general consensus the the OP’s question is:

- PRS are not overpriced compared to comparable guitars of other makers. Especially if you are into fancy wood and paint. Great guitars, fair price.

I whole heartedly agree with the first point but not necessarily the second. I consider all my instruments perfect 10’s. I can’t point to any of them a say “oh there’s a flaw” or “there is some sloppy workmanship”. If that were the case I would not have bought them.

And respectfully, I disagree about this thread and others like it.

What PRS owner really needs to solicit opinions about whether PRS guitars are somehow "overpriced" on the PRS company forum?

What PRS player is so inexperienced and isolated that he or she hasn't ever so much as examined or played a Fender or Gibson, so as to be unable to form for themselves an independent opinion on this subject?

This is pot-stirring at its most basic, in a thread served up for no other purpose.

For what it's worth, I liked the thread. Seems to me that while it's probably true that PRS owners already have formed an opinion, I'd think that many might visit this forum who are in the process of investigating a PRS to purchase. I'd also expect that the responses provided here would be more informed than what would come out of some of the other "usual suspect" forums. And from the replies here, it doesn't look like many pots were stirred. I could certainly see somebody who might be looking at....say...a Gibson SG...and then take a look at the PRS line and come to the conclusion that a USA PRS might be "overpriced". If they'd post here, I'd politely point them to an S2 Mira which kills an SG in terms of bang for the buck in my opinion. I doubt that they'd get that response at TGP or LPF or whatever.

As to the OP, it sounds like he is somehow "in the business", so it might be surprising to think that he might have to ask the question....but then again he seemed polite, so why not assume the best until given a reason to do otherwise?

I think you would agree if you picked up 10 PRS CU22s off the shelf, and 10 Gibson CS R8, R9s or whatever. Every dealer I know of who sells both Gibson and PRS says the same thing. Mid level production PRSs stomps even the best Gibsons in QC. Have you played some of the R9s that Gibson puts out there? Some are 9-10 Lbs of dead wood. I have always found some good R9s, but it takes work. PRSs, there is almost no worry. I may have played 3-4 PRSs that I did not feel were great guitars, and I have played a lot of PRSs over the last 20 something years. :)

I think at this point in time the "PRS are overpriced" mantra, along with the ever popular "PRS sound sterile", has moved into the realm of myth.

Have you played some of the R9s that Gibson puts out there? Some are 9-10 Lbs of dead wood. :)

No not a lot because there are not a lot out there to play. But I have played some. They are heavy compared to most but never played a Historic Reissue that I thought was “dead wood”. Don’t get the chance to play a lot of high end PRS either. That is why discussions like this are valuable and interesting to me.

I don’t know about everyone else but I need to take a guitar home and own it for a while. Play it through my gear and let the honeymoon wear off before I can really evaluate it. I may never buy another $4k or up guitar. But if I do, I have some more info to go on.

And respectfully, I disagree about this thread and others like it.

What PRS owner really needs to solicit opinions about whether PRS guitars are somehow "overpriced" on the PRS company forum?

What PRS player is so inexperienced and isolated that he or she hasn't ever so much as examined or played a Fender or Gibson, so as to be unable to form for themselves an independent opinion on this subject?

This is pot-stirring at its most basic, in a thread served up for no other purpose.

Nah.... its actually good feedback for the company. Its a question of cost/value in relative terms. PRS, as a company, wants to maximize its profit, while still being competitive in the market. That is basic business. There is no better tool for achieving that than customer feedback. Not everyone here is a fanboy, even though its a corporate forum. I play anything I feel suits my tastes. That includes PRS, Music Man, Fender, etc. I've never been one to hold allegiance to brands. I'm looking for value at all times.

To answer the original question, I think this years price increase pushed things over the edge for me. I had no issues with the $2700 street price for a basic CU24. Now, PRS has gone from competing with Gibson/Fender to competing with Suhr and that is a whole other scenario. Where I had no interest in Suhr before, I think I have a renewed interest now that PRS have gotten to that price point. Maybe PRS wants to compete with the Suhrs of the world and that is great but its going to push some players to seek value in other brands. In the future, it could be a choice of a core PRS or a Suhr modern, where before it would probably have just been the PRS at old price point.

In relative terms, Music Man just released the Majesty. Looks are subjective but its an American made high end neck through instrument with carved top, SS frets, ebony board, honduran mahogany core, for a street of about $2500. As a value seeker, that captures my attention for sure and would be in the discussion for the next guitar. A $300 price increase may have pushed me to consider 2 guitars I might not have previously considered. In summary, I do believe PRS have gotten to that point of being "overpriced"

A different way to look at "value" and it is the reason I play PRSs, especially certain models in the first place, is this. For me, they are the best sounding electric guitars ever made. :) I have put mine up side by side with what are considered the "Holy grails" of guitars, many times, and always preferred the PRS. At the very least, they have been equals tonally, and usually play better. That includes guitars costing into 6 figures. So for between $2700 and 10 K (if you go for a VERY ornate PS), I have had guitars that sound at the least, as good as any electric guitar I have ever heard. There are very few other guitars that I thought were as good, and they were picked out of a huge selection of the same model. PRS does it with almost every one of their guitars, on a consistent basis. So for me, thats the best value of all. Above someone wrote about 335s. While it is a very different style of guitar, I have put my CU 22 walnut semi hollow side by side with a killer 1958 335 that has always been one of the finest sounding guitars I have played. While the tones were not exactly alike, you could get the PRS to get so close to the 335, it would be very hard to tell them apart blindfolded, and that was while trying to DEADEN the PRS with the volume and tone controls! get the best tones you could out of both of them, and to me, the PRS was the clear winner. Both myself and the 335 owner were pretty much blown away. $3600 for the PRS, about 65K for this particular Gibson. I had a 50th anniversary 335. The walnut semi hollow is a FAR superior guitar. Amazing.

A different way to look at "value" and it is the reason I play PRSs, especially certain models in the first place, is this. For me, they are the best sounding electric guitars ever made. :) I have put mine up side by side with what are considered the "Holy grails" of guitars, many times, and always preferred the PRS. At the very least, they have been equals tonally, and usually play better. That includes guitars costing into 6 figures. So for between $2700 and 10 K (if you go for a VERY ornate PS), I have had guitars that sound at the least, as good as any electric guitar I have ever heard. There are very few other guitars that I thought were as good, and they were picked out of a huge selection of the same model. PRS does it with almost every one of their guitars, on a consistent basis. So for me, thats the best value of all. Above someone wrote about 335s. While it is a very different style of guitar, I have put my CU 22 walnut semi hollow side by side with a killer 1958 335 that has always been one of the finest sounding guitars I have played. While the tones were not exactly alike, you could get the PRS to get so close to the 335, it would be very hard to tell them apart blindfolded, and that was while trying to DEADEN the PRS with the volume and tone controls! get the best tones you could out of both of them, and to me, the PRS was the clear winner. Both myself and the 335 owner were pretty much blown away. $3600 for the PRS, about 65K for this particular Gibson. I had a 50th anniversary 335. The walnut semi hollow is a FAR superior guitar. Amazing.

That walnut hollow PRS is sweet looking. I would get one left handed though. Your strings are backward.

For what it's worth, I liked the thread. Seems to me that while it's probably true that PRS owners already have formed an opinion, I'd think that many might visit this forum who are in the process of investigating a PRS to purchase. I'd also expect that the responses provided here would be more informed than what would come out of some of the other "usual suspect" forums. And from the replies here, it doesn't look like many pots were stirred. I could certainly see somebody who might be looking at....say...a Gibson SG...and then take a look at the PRS line and come to the conclusion that a USA PRS might be "overpriced". If they'd post here, I'd politely point them to an S2 Mira which kills an SG in terms of bang for the buck in my opinion. I doubt that they'd get that response at TGP or LPF or whatever.

As to the OP, it sounds like he is somehow "in the business", so it might be surprising to think that he might have to ask the question....but then again he seemed polite, so why not assume the best until given a reason to do otherwise?

OK, you make some good points. I surrender. :)

Apologies to Tracy, though I'd still like to know his role in the business.

Last edited:
If you want to hear guys scream about something being overpriced check out some of the Gibson forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back