Archon amp advice

valenti

I just recently heard this amp out on you tube, and it really, really sounds as what I would like. Now I am really interested on it.
I more prone to like vintage warm sounds than modern ones, and this amp seems to be able to do it both in a good manner.
I´ve currently own an EVH III 50W and I am really pleased with it, although its sounds stills does not fully satisfy my taste.
Did this amp worth the money (because it’s not cheap)? And why would say so?
Any advice or feedback on this regard would be really appreciated

For what it's worth, here's my impression of the amp.....

With regards to "vintage warm sounds", that's not what comes first to mind relative to the gain channel on the Archon. It sort of begs to be played at high gain (and even scooped). I happen to really like the tones of vintage amps and the type of music I play is mainly classic rock / 90s stuff. I really wasn't interested with the Archon until I played it because it seemed like it would be more of a modern gain monster.

But I really like this amp. It really depends on what you're looking for, but I really ended up liking this amp more than anything else in the PRS line. I play in a cover band, and for me, the clean channel with a combination of Fulltone OCD and Exotic BB pedal gives pretty much any classic tone I'd look for. It handles pedals extremely well (actually better than any other PRS amp I have). Oddly though, the creamy tones coming from the lead channel, though not vintage sounding, really sound great in a band environment. I find myself using the lead channel live way more than I'd have expected. It doesn't "cop" vintage tones accurately, but it works out wonderfully. And it gives you the option to get some pretty wonderful modern tones.

In terms of vintage tones in the PRS line of amps, the HX/DA and MDT come top of mind to me. They are both fantastic (I prefer the MDT...but the HX/DA gives you more options...) But if I had to pick one PRS amp, to cover everything from bedroom playing to live band stuff, the Archon would be the one I'd pick.

Although not cheap, it's also not super expensive in the PRS line. If you already have a cab, the cost of the Archon is pretty competitive.

The Archon is sort of a combination of great pedal platform on the clean channel (not exactly a Twin Reverb, but I actually prefer how it handles my pedals). And the lead channel, with the gain dialed back is sort of a Mesa Lonestar...and with the gain dialed up, it's a fire breathing monster.

But if you're really just looking for the warm vintage tones (say something ranging from a JTM45 through a Jube) it's hard to beat an HX/DA or MDT.

Thanks for this teview and opinion. I just bought the new 50 archon head. Im looking for a hard rock creamy sound and im near but when i turn off the amo and think i have found my sound, i just start tweaking again when i open it up. Can you please tell us how you set your distortion channel please!

Thanks for this teview and opinion. I just bought the new 50 archon head. Im looking for a hard rock creamy sound and im near but when i turn off the amo and think i have found my sound, i just start tweaking again when i open it up. Can you please tell us how you set your distortion channel please!
For best results with that kind of sound, I think you want an overdrive in front. I use a Wampler Tumnus, but any tube screamer or SD1 or whatever you have would work too.

Then I set gain around 10:30. Honestly, the EQ on the amp sounds good anywhere. For extra cream, you can turn the treble up anywhere from 12:00 to 3:00. Maybe keep bass below 1:00, and usually more like 11:00? I go back and forth between 11:00 and 1:00 on mids. Maybe bright switch on for what you're doing, but I like it either way. I usually run depth and presence around 2:00, but I think you'll want to try turning depth way down.

What kind of cabinet are you using?

I just recently heard this amp out on you tube, and it really, really sounds as what I would like. Now I am really interested on it.
I more prone to like vintage warm sounds than modern ones, and this amp seems to be able to do it both in a good manner.
I´ve currently own an EVH III 50W and I am really pleased with it, although its sounds stills does not fully satisfy my taste.
Did this amp worth the money (because it’s not cheap)? And why would say so?
Any advice or feedback on this regard would be really appreciated
I have one of the older 100W heads. It's my only tube amp and my only amp GAS is for a MT100 whenever PRS gets around to releasing it lol.

My biggest advice would be to buy an old USA-made used one. They are cheaper than buying new and the build quality is top notch. I don't know what the new line is like, but the old ones have very nice reliable wiring that's easy to fix if something goes wrong.

The only thing to keep in mind is if you get a REALLY old one (2013 or older I think) then you might need to do a mod to reduce effects loop noise. It's well documented on the forum and really easy to do if you have any experience soldering. I did mine myself.

For what it's worth, there are a decent number of threads in this forum about people having trouble with a MT15. Not the case with Archons. I think that reliability is worth the cost. Also, lower noise and better master volume.

I agree with the post above that "warm vintage sounds" are not the focus with this amp. It can do those sounds with the gain low, and it does sound great when doing it, but this amp is most definitely not a Marshall.

If by "modern" you mean super duper tight, then you are correct that the Archon isn't that. It's looser. But it's most definitely a high gain amp. EDIT: actually, I'm remembering that Jason Richardson uses an Archon and it sounds very tight... No idea what he does with his, but maybe they can be tight amps too lol

Hope this helps!

For what it's worth, here's my impression of the amp.....

With regards to "vintage warm sounds", that's not what comes first to mind relative to the gain channel on the Archon. It sort of begs to be played at high gain (and even scooped). I happen to really like the tones of vintage amps and the type of music I play is mainly classic rock / 90s stuff. I really wasn't interested with the Archon until I played it because it seemed like it would be more of a modern gain monster.

But I really like this amp. It really depends on what you're looking for, but I really ended up liking this amp more than anything else in the PRS line. I play in a cover band, and for me, the clean channel with a combination of Fulltone OCD and Exotic BB pedal gives pretty much any classic tone I'd look for. It handles pedals extremely well (actually better than any other PRS amp I have). Oddly though, the creamy tones coming from the lead channel, though not vintage sounding, really sound great in a band environment. I find myself using the lead channel live way more than I'd have expected. It doesn't "cop" vintage tones accurately, but it works out wonderfully. And it gives you the option to get some pretty wonderful modern tones.

In terms of vintage tones in the PRS line of amps, the HX/DA and MDT come top of mind to me. They are both fantastic (I prefer the MDT...but the HX/DA gives you more options...) But if I had to pick one PRS amp, to cover everything from bedroom playing to live band stuff, the Archon would be the one I'd pick.

Although not cheap, it's also not super expensive in the PRS line. If you already have a cab, the cost of the Archon is pretty competitive.

The Archon is sort of a combination of great pedal platform on the clean channel (not exactly a Twin Reverb, but I actually prefer how it handles my pedals). And the lead channel, with the gain dialed back is sort of a Mesa Lonestar...and with the gain dialed up, it's a fire breathing monster.

But if you're really just looking for the warm vintage tones (say something ranging from a JTM45 through a Jube) it's hard to beat an HX/DA or MDT.
I think the Archon handles guitar volume roll off like a champ. I was close to selling it to buy a Revv Generator MKIII for all the variety and switching.
Then I spent time with my Archon and some boosts, while using my guitar volume. This amp takes volume roll off better than most tube amps. I can roll down volume and get great classic Rush, 80s and 90s rock and hard rock. I hit it with my Friedman Buxom or Suhr Koko and it adds saturation, gain and compression for leads. Then I'll roll the volume up for high gain and my EQ for lead boosts. Great versatility. I can also just lower amp gain to 9:00 and play early Rush and The Police. Nice versatility with thr volume control on my guitars and amp gain control, with my Buxom and Koko boosts.
I haven't found I like ODs and Distortion pedals into the clean channel as much. They never match what I can get just rolling down guitar volume and amp gain.
I had an Xotoc BB and tried it with my modified Mesa Dual Rec and it worked OK but not as well as my Koko and Buxom Boosts.
Curious what ODs and Distortion ms you have found that sound natural and not like a pedal.

Back