Anyone else have an album that got you through some hard times?

The Cure - Seventeen Seconds.

By coincidence, my son's first job in LA was as an assistant to a pretty famous producer named Flood, whose first big job was as the assistant on this record. I guess what goes around comes around. In fact, Flood got his nickname because he kept bringing the band tea, and they named him.

This is also one of my favorite clean guitar tones, and ironically given my preferences, it was done with a Roland Jazz Chorus, a solid state amp.

Go figure!

I miss the original band though, and the addition of Johnny Colt. Now it’s basically the Pat Monahan band.

Yeah it's really not the same. Doesn't have the same feel as the original.

By coincidence, my son's first job in LA was as an assistant to a pretty famous producer named Flood, whose first big job was as the assistant on this record. I guess what goes around comes around. In fact, Flood got his nickname because he kept bringing the band tea, and they named him.

This is also one of my favorite clean guitar tones, and ironically given my preferences, it was done with a Roland Jazz Chorus, a solid state amp.

Go figure!
I f@cking love this record.

Go figure!

Love this, this one takes me back! The tone is sooo luscious. This one was...okay, okay still is one of my go to songs when I'm a little fuzzy and I just want to chill. Not to mention that tone makes me want to throw on some headphones and become one with the sofa. ;)

Stormwatch by Jethro Tull. Just a low point where it seemed like everything sucked and no good things for the future, and this crazy album saved me. Took me out of my head and still does to this day!

"A Stormwatch brews as the white sea snaps at the heels of soft prayer whispered"

"We'll watch the old ghosts for play down by Dunringill"

Thanks Scott, its neat to see what everyone has said thus far!!

Stormwatch by Jethro Tull. Just a low point where it seemed like everything sucked and no good things for the future, and this crazy album saved me. Took me out of my head and still does to this day!

"A Stormwatch brews as the white sea snaps at the heels of soft prayer whispered"

"We'll watch the old ghosts for play down by Dunringill"

Thanks Scott, its neat to see what everyone has said thus far!!

YW. Yeah it's a wide range of stuff. I thought it would be interesting to hear what everyone's go to was. The Division Bell album was the one that stuck out the most to me. I knew I couldn't be the only one here that had a special one. Thanks to everyone that has shared thus far. Good stuff!

Well, I must say, as happy as I am to see that list, I did not see "Mexican Americans" and for that I am VERY disappointed! It is truly one of the classics of the C&C music factory!!! Maybe it is under a different title in that list, but the lyrics of the song would dictate it being called "Mexican Americans", unless that is too "unwoke"!!!

Cheech is Mexican-American...he got/gets a pass, Tommy was born Canadian to non Mexican-American parents...so not so much considering the lyrical content. They were a comedy team. However, by todays standards it's offensive.

Comedy is a strange thing though. It's still art imho. Art can be offensive to some and bring joy to others. It's a totally subjective thing. Still, It's a slippery slope. Especially these days with more social awareness, which in and of itself, can be a double edged sword. I think of C&C's comedy kind of like South Park is today...very irreverent, very politically incorrect and funny as hell!! (to me anyway), it's an equal opportunity offender. Nobody's safe.

Last edited:
For me...gotta be Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson. Just an absolute wonder of an album, one of the most positive and uplifting things I've ever heard. Praise to Jon, he drove himself nuts trying to capture an otherworldly quality and he really succeeded. It's such a great source of inspiration both musically and spiritually; if I ever do feel down this brings me right back. I actually like it more than most Yes albums, and that's saying something.

Last edited:
For me...gotta be Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson. Just an absolute wonder of an album, one of the most positive and uplifting things I've ever heard. Praise to Jon, he drove himself nuts trying to capture an otherworldly quality and he really succeeded. It's such a great source of inspiration both musically and spiritually; if I ever do feel down this brings me right back. I like more than most Yes albums, and that's saying something.

Cool! I love all the stuff he did with Yes. I'll have to deep dive this one. Thanks for the turn on!

For me...gotta be Olias of Sunhillow by Jon Anderson. Just an absolute wonder of an album, one of the most positive and uplifting things I've ever heard. Praise to Jon, he drove himself nuts trying to capture an otherworldly quality and he really succeeded. It's such a great source of inspiration both musically and spiritually; if I ever do feel down this brings me right back. I like more than most Yes albums, and that's saying something.

This one is particularly amazing!

YES! I got to see Jon with Trevor Rabin and Rick a few years back. They played this and it was like magic. Brilliant show.
The only time I saw Yes was on the Union Tour in 1991. It was in the round, on a rotating stage. The thing that made it one of my favorite concerts was the line up.

Jon Anderson - vocals
Chris Squire (R.I.P.) - bass
Bill Bufford & Alan White - drums
Steve Howe & Trevor Rabin - guitars
Tony Kaye & Rick Wakeman - keys

The only time I saw Yes was on the Union Tour in 1991. It was in the round, on a rotating stage. The thing that made it one of my favorite concerts was the line up.

Jon Anderson - vocals
Chris Squire (R.I.P.) - bass
Bill Bufford & Alan White - drums
Steve Howe & Trevor Rabin - guitars
Tony Kaye & Rick Wakeman - keys
Lucky you! Damn....I was like 3 years old back then. Preschoolers don't get to buy concert tickets.

Back