Another pickup swap

That surprised me at first when I read it. The 85/15 is the perfect bridge pickup for my CU24 PS.

But it makes sense: The CU24 is a very different guitar, with a more focused midrange.

As I understand it, the 85/15 was designed for the CU24. It makes perfect sense that it would work differently in one of the 22 fret, thicker-bodied models.
That would make sense. I picked up a good deal on a set for my older CE hunt because I liked them in the newer ones at the shops. Tried them in my KL33 and SAS. They really didn't mesh, nothing like the store demos in a CE. It really was the bridge that didn't gel with me as well. They were more modern and honestly too clear if that's even a thing? Well it is for a hobbyist player like me anyway.

Both of those guitars really love a more PAF variety. I tried multiple sets from PRS and other winders. Most PAF worked pretty well, the bridge in both were still kinda picky, but lately I've been extra selective on bridge pickups for whatever reason.

With me, I can get a pretty good idea of whether or not I'll like a PU by noodling for a few minutes.

The 8515 bridge was an immediate "no" within seconds of plugging it in.

Absolute huge disappointment. Just the opposite with neck though. Wonderful PU.

This LT neck is very simular. All the good tonal qualities of the 8515 but just lower output.

The bridge is a different story. The very first strum was a pleasant surprise. No resemblance to 8515 at all. IMO

So far, I'm happy. My next step was going to be T and B reissues with blue wafer rotary! That would be an interesting McCarty!

On a side note, I had contemplated putting stock McCarty PUs back in but I couldn't find them.

While looking for my rosewood switch cap I found McCartys!!!!!

Different parts drawer............

On yet another note, everything changes everything.........what if the two amps i let go would have been keepers with the LT pickups??????

Ugh
I’ve never played the original McCarty pickups, but most who have seem to choose the 58/18LTs. It’s a first world problem, but hell. Find what you like and rock on! Life is too short to suffer bad tones.

It really was the bridge that didn't gel with me as well. They were more modern and honestly too clear if that's even a thing? Well it is for a hobbyist player like me anyway.
I've come to believe that it's 'horses for courses' when it comes to gear, and that's certainly true of pickups/guitars.

I can only speak about the 85/15s in the one CU24 30th Anniversary PS I have them in. When Jack Gretz sent me a video demo of how it sounded, I fell in love with the tone - in fact, couldn't get it out of my head - and had to buy it the next day.

But as I mentioned, the woods are a little bit different than most CU24s (African mahogany back, Peruvian mahogany neck, Madagascar rosewood fretboard). They definitely give the guitar a different vibe from the Core models I played that year with the same pickups.

I'm into vintage style tone, and believe it or not, I get it (and lots of other things) with this guitar. So I love the 85/15 bridge and neck pickups for whatever the reasons might be.

I use the volume and tone pots a lot, old-school to control the amp with the guitar's controls. That might help.

Or it might be that it's a unicorn! :)

I've come to believe that it's 'horses for courses' when it comes to gear, and that's certainly true of pickups/guitars.

I can only speak about the 85/15s in the one CU24 I have them in. When Jack Gretz sent me a video demo of how it sounded, I fell in love and had to buy it.

But as I mentioned, the woods are a little bit different (African mahogany back, Peruvian mahogany neck, Madagascar rosewood fretboard). They definitely give the guitar a different vibe from the Core models I played that year with the same pickups.

I'm into vintage style tone, and believe it or not, I get it with this guitar. So I love the 85/15 bridge and neck pickups for whatever reason.

Could be that it's a unicorn!

Absolutely.. so many factors go into these things. No one size fits all. Right, wrong, good, or bad. Heck, I might feel different tomorrow about something than today.. half the reason I have a parts drawer.

Heck of a wood combo! Super sweet

Heck of a wood combo! Super sweet
I'd previously had an Artist V with a Peruvian mahogany neck, and it's the only electric guitar with an ebony fretboard I ever loved.

I think that type of mahogany has a sound that's a little bit different, but I can't put it into words. The Madagascar rosewood fretboard is what I'd call 'chocolate caramel' in tone, where I'd call BRW 'snappy and sparkly'.

That might help with the pickups' tone? 'Cause the guitar really does sound different from the Core model of that year.

The Madagascar rosewood fretboard is what I'd call 'chocolate caramel' in tone,

That might help with the pickups' tone? 'Cause the guitar really does sound different from the Core model of that year.
Chocolate carmel.. dig it! Gotta luv guitarists tone descriptions

I'd agree with you, wood definitely influences pickups. I don't care what some others say. I've seen evidence too many times otherwise. Sure other factors come into play, but wood matters.

That surprised me at first when I read it. The 85/15 is the perfect bridge pickup for my CU24 PS.

But it makes sense: The CU24 is a very different guitar, with a more focused midrange.

As I understand it, the 85/15 was designed for the CU24. It makes perfect sense that it would work differently in one of the 22 fret, thicker-bodied models.
That's probably why the neck just overpowered anything I put in bridge position. It was glorious but just couldn't get an acceptable balance.

Same here. 85/15 Bridge may as well be my favourite pickup ever. I have tried so many pickups in the past, common choices like Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan (SH5 was my previous fave), BKP, Lundgren, OX4, Throbak, and experimental stuff like Q-tuner. You name it, I had it. The 85/15 does everything well without slacking compromise. I wouldn't mind having another CU24 with different woods but the same pickups. I can't see why I would like it less.

Same here. 85/15 Bridge may as well be my favourite pickup ever.
Definitely my favorite with any CU24 I've ever had going back to my first Custom in 1991, and there have been several since.

For the thicker-bodied guitars, I still lean toward the 57/08, but I have to say that the DGT pickup is fantastic in its McCarty thickness guitar, though it's a different trip entirely - as it should be!

I never bonded with any PRS pickup before the 5x/0x pickups were intro'd. So I guess my opinion should be taken for what it is - one person's take on tone.

Lots of fans here for the Dragon series, the Artist IIs, the original McCartys, the #7s, and the T&Bs, etc. I get it, but I'm a different style of player.

The 57/08, 53/10, 85/15, Artist V, and DGT pickups are the ne plus ultra of PRS' all-time offerings as far as I'm concerned. Don't get me wrong, I like the 58/15 series, but the others work better for me. That's one reason I've always preferred my McCarty Singlecut PS to my 594s, and wound up moving them (yes, I could have swapped out the pickups but I have this probably misguided idea that the purpose of having more than one guitar is to have them all sound different. And by that I mean, 'really different', not just in tiny nuance.

Last edited:
Back