Amp COMBO suitable for Student Edition PRS guitars

Hey, while you are there checking out the ID, see if they have one of these Peavy amps.
This was in my YouTube subs yesterday, and he is using a PRS S2 Starla.
I have not checked the price of it though, but it is 20, 5, and 1 watt I believe.

My ears are ringing again, played the ID 15 here at work a bit ago.
It is so nice to be able to crank an amp and not have neighbors complain.

Peavey ValveKing II 20

Last edited by a moderator:
VOX Valvetronix combo amp in whichever size you can afford. Really good, seriously underrated.

Here is even a bigger ID, the 60 watt one.
Paul Glover is using it with a PRS SE Dave Navarro guitar.
I think Paul is a member here too, I remember him posting in one of the SE threads from 2012 when I was waiting for my SE Tremonti Custom to show up.

Just out of curiousity, have any of you guys heard of the ID: Core series? I was told about them today, and I searched online and I was stunned, the fullness of the speaker sound it produces is amazing. The amp is also a fraction of the price, sports 2 speakers. However, it doesnt have the most important function, which is the TVP. At half the price or less. 99 for 10 wat, 149 for the 20 watt, 199 for the 40 watt. Those are some insane prices. Any thoughts?

On a side note, if need to make a switch from a distortion channel to a clean channel, what will be the better option?
-BlackStar 4 Channel switch 89.99
-Regular 1 Channel switch 49.99? Regular 2 Channel Switch? (Blackstar or any brand?????)
-MXR distortion 87' Pedal 79.99, so its a bit more flexible when I want to get the crunch I want, since I can use it as a switch or to add effects. Plus when I upgrade my amp to tube amp, I am not stuck with the Channel switch which is kinda like a one trick pony kinda thing lol

So what is the most appropriate?
I am most likely going with the ID15/30. Prob the 30 for the extra headroom, so it would sound crispier, and have more fullness/beef I suppose. For me its really not about the volume, I really need the clarity. I cant find a dealer near me for the ID's, so I cant try it. I have to just buy it from Guitar Center and if not satisfied, return, or purchase from sweetwater and just LIKE IT. Since shipping it back for
return will cost me at least 10-20% of the original price.

My thanks guys!

Last edited:
Yes, they were introduced at Winter NAMM this year.
They sound nice, but they lack the True Valve Power setting, so no tube emulation like my IDa have.
They are suppose to sound good too playing back backing tracks and music.

Ty, if you have not decided yet, Andertons just put up a video on the Core series, the one without the TVP feature.

Ty, if you have not decided yet, Andertons just put up a video on the Core series, the one without the TVP feature.

yeah the demos are killer....just made my choice much more difficult. Because for me the ID:CORE prices are literally half of the ID series.
I probably gonna just jump the gun and take the ID 30 and FS10 switch, for 360 online shipped. Its tough because I just recently got a speeding ticket. So ID:core sounds like a real good deal right now. But at the same time the curiousity for the AMP raw power from different tubes make me so excited.

On a side note, I picked up guitar only a month and a half ago, but recently my landlord has complained about the noise level was getting a bit irritating even though I am already doing in whisper levels....

So Ill probably end up using headphones on the amp no matter which AMP I end up getting. Bummer.

Bummer about the ticket.
The TVP feature is worth it to me, I like messing with the different sounds.
My two favorite are the 6L6 and the EL84.
My Carvin tube amp has EL84s in it.

I think I am going to mess around with that amp this weekend, have not played it in awhile.

Hello,
Before you spend tons of money on another amp, try two things. 1.If your amp is closed back, open it. 2. install a larger speaker. I installed a 12" speaker into a 10 watt Squier amp. I had to put two sections of wood into the sides to make room , however the difference in the sound is unbelievable. Also raise your pickups. If they are to far from the strings it will be much quieter.

Ty, did you ever get an amp yet?

Hey Cory, and fellow PRS members!

I am back after a hectic month of work, and a buncha crap. I had to go to court, pay my ticket, pay for traffic school, pay for my license registration renewal fees (just in nick of time, eh?), rent, and among others...I did manage to make some sales from selling my collection of action figures I accumulated over the years T____T ....had to sell them precious grails to help out with the bills and FINALLY...

I pulled the trigger and got the ID15TVP + Switch FS-10 for 359.99 shipped from Sweetwater. I have not tried it yet, but seriously, all the demos on youtube and a few recommendations from users on this forum sold me. I am just amazed they are not very popular when I google or ask people on other forums. The ID15 is like a sleeper amp. Amazing for the money and amazing sound yet so little owners out there. Anyway, I cant even begin to tell you guys the excitement awaits me. Fedex is scheduled to deliever my AMP today or tomorrow.

I can already tell this AMP will last me a long long long time.

STILL looking for some nice cables though. since my financial situation hit me hard, I am still doing research while deciding whether or not to shell out 50+ bucks on a cable, or just buy an 8 dollar cable (Chromacast PRO SERIES) shipped off ebay/amazon. Also planet waves being just under 20 shipped, is probably a better choice. Since the most people are debating that the longevity of the cable has more differences than the actual sound of the cable between exp and cheap cables. Dont know yet.

Will post some initial thoughts about the amp asap!

STILL looking for some nice cables though. since my financial situation hit me hard, I am still doing research while deciding whether or not to shell out 50+ bucks on a cable, or just buy an 8 dollar cable (Chromacast PRO SERIES) shipped off ebay/amazon. Also planet waves being just under 20 shipped, is probably a better choice. Since the most people are debating that the longevity of the cable has more differences than the actual sound of the cable between exp and cheap cables. Dont know yet.

Will post some initial thoughts about the amp asap!

I use ProCo cables. I get them from Sweetwater. They sound great, are inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. If you take a knife and cut one in half, just send it back. You will get a new one. I can't tell the difference between the ProCo and more expensive cables...

Ty, that is great news.
I keep my ID15 in my work locker to rock out with it before work in the morning.
It is insanely loud.

I recently went with the Line 6 G50 wireless which is a pro setup, and I am going to bring in my cheaper wireless to use at work, and get about 75' or so away with the amp maxed out to see how it sounds.

This hobby is a blessing. I really do feel like I am in heaven when I am playing my guitar even though I may not be very good at it yet. But its something I look forward, and have an actual goal in life. I really do appreciate all of you who responded and contributed suggestions and comments in regards to my inquires. I have tried other forums, and I literally got 1 reply after almost 200 views on a thread Titled Please HELP me pick my AMP or something similar over there at blackstar forums....lol

really, thank you all.

And thank you for being a member here.
This is a really great site!

And Les does rock, but he needs to play more AC/DC ;)

Guys,

Fedex came today with a surprise! After numerous delivery attempts, I finally got my ID15! The wait has killed me. I got so excited I even unboxed it at work!!!! No guitar, so I couldnt try it. But I am home now, and I quickly ran through the settings and was able to get the tones I wanted in a matter of minutes. The sound was punchy, and full compared to my Starter AMP that came with my guitar. I am really pleased with this product. The clean channel was quiet and clear. The TVP button really made a difference. My girlfriend was like wow'ed!

While I really do want a tube AMP, as it is the dream of most guitarist. I dont think I can afford it right now. Not so much the amp itself, but rather, if and when the bulbs needs replacement or should something go wrong. I cant afford to go to a tech and spend 80 bucks for it to be looked at. This is it right here. From what I gathered, these solid states are durable and can withstand quite a beating.

I actually did research on the AMPS everyone suggested, but opted for a solid state for the reason I provided above. So thank you everyone for contributing. I am still a super newbie, been playing for 3 months now and will continue to ask for guidance! Thank you!!!!

Back to practicing!

Last edited:
And Les does rock, but he needs to play more AC/DC ;)

You know I have my hands full playing my own original music, right?

I'll let AC/DC and the millions of players who love and play their stuff play AC/DC. ;)

Back