About to add a Stripped 58 to the collection

All I know is the bridge pickup in my stock 2014 Stripped feels and sounds hot!
One for sure way to tell is to pull the cover off of the electronics cavity and look to see how many wires the pickup has. The old ones are a single wire with a shield along with one white wire for the tap. The new ones have 4 wires.

Another way is to also check to see if the pickups are in phase magnetically with each other. The new sets are out of phase and you have to swap two of the wires on one pickup when you wire them up to put them in phase.

Thanks Lew.

I have a lot of high output humbucker and this 57/08 bridge handles all I do, just as well. Leads scream with great pinch harmonics, heavy rhythm sounds just as good, just a different EQ curve than my other high output buckers.

Heck, if I really had to have the latest version, I could always order a new 57/08. But, I'm not spending $230 for one pickup.

This is the Sweetwater listing for a new 57/08 Treble:

PRS 57/08 Treble Humbucking Pickup Features:​

• Replacement pickup for 6-string guitar bridge position
  • Alnico 2 magnet
  • DC resistance: 8.5k
  • Compatible with 3-way, 3-way push/pull, or 5-way pickup selectors
Sweetwater is wrong. 9.4 for the new 5708 bridge

Treble readings I've taken

Old 5708
8.4 and 8.49

New 5708
9.35 and 9.23

Pic of a completely stock 2013 SC58 cavity.

Screenshot_20230807_015310_Gallery5c509b3ef68f6b40.jpg

Treble readings I've taken

Old 5708
8.4 and 8.49

New 5708
9.35 and 9.23
Here are readings from 4 guitars I happen to have out right now.

Older 57/08 Treble/Bridge

New 57/08 Treble/Bridge

An interesting note here is that my SC-58 has the lowest value pickup.

Pic of a completely stock 2013 SC58 cavity.
Interesting. On the volume pot on the right the capacitor lead is attached to the pot's wiper (middle) terminal (like both of the volume pots on mine) but on the volume pot at the top, the capacitor lead is attached to the pot's input terminal. Both ways work. IIRC, the volume pots on my LP have cap leads on the input terminals rather than the wiper terminals too.

Last edited:
Any of you know a good material or solution to build a nut slot up. My tech cut the D slot too low and now the D string rests on the first fret and so it's unplayable. I dying to bring this guitar to rehearsal.

Any of you know a good material or solution to build a nut slot up. My tech cut the D slot too low and now the D string rests on the first fret and so it's unplayable. I dying to bring this guitar to rehearsal.
I would take it back to my tech and tell him/her to replace that nut! I don't think there is another acceptable solution!! YMMV!!!

I'd order a new nut from the accessory store or somewhere. Or have your tech get one.

Sweetwater is wrong. 9.4 for the new 5708 bridge

None of mine measure that high a DCR. Not even my brand new ones. That's beyond all but the hottest of those now 65 year old Gibson humbuckers. I prefer them stronger and since Paul only makes things that SELL, that must be what other folks want too.

Last edited:
None of mine measure that high a DCR. Not even my brand new ones. That's beyond all but the hottest of those now 65 year old Gibson humbuckers. I prefer them stronger and since Paul only makes things that SELL, that must be what other folks want too.
Highest I have is 9.35. Regardless of our readings it doesn't change PRS listed spec. More to the point is that Sweetwater had incorrect specs. Neck specs listed for bridge.

Back