594 SE Volume/Tone issue

Crazeydiamond67

I have a 2023 594 SE that has a issue withe the volume and tone. When my volume is at 8-10, the tone works fine. But below that on the volume, the tone does not work at all. Should I just replace the vol pots? I do not think a treble bleed would do anything to help. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

First thing to try should always be Contact Cleaner or DeOxit. It's odd for something so new to need it, but many issues with Pots & Switches can be solved with this, rather than the more drastic (and expensive) step of replacing parts

However, if this doesn't fix it, assuming you bought this new, it should be covered under warranty and you should contact the dealer you bought it from to get it addressed

Agree ^ with DeOxit. Use the D5. The weak link in the SE and even the S2 line appears to be the pots. My S2 Thinline worked great the first year, but then gradually the same thing started happening with both tone pots. The D5 helped with the scratchy volume pots, but the tone pots had dead spots so that I could not adjust the treble frequencies. You have 2 years warranty on electronics (assuming you purchased your SE new) so PRS will cover them, but the replacement pots will be the same. If you want to upgrade to the same quality PRS uses in their Core line, it will cost you $250. I shipped my 594 Thinline back to the PTC to have the work done. Now, my tone is back. Worth it.

Thanks for the D5 suggestions. I tried that and didn’t do a thing. I purchased it off Reverb. The previous owner stated he had removed and then placed the original PUs back in prior to selling on Reverb. Found this out when I pressed him for some answers cause the control cavity wires looked like crap. Once I sorted them out, I made sure the PUs were the correct ones. (They were). But it is funny that both the bridge and neck volume are doing the same thing. Almost like a no-load pot. I think I am going to take it all out and replace the volume pots and tone controls pots (push-push tone only) and the input Jack to a pure tone. Love the play and feel of the guitar. And I got the guitar for a great price. Just wanted to make sure I am not missing something. Thanks again.

Replace the parts, they’re junk. Absolutely not a fan of fix it in a can, great for a Pinto but not so good far any import brand guitar that lately seems to be more of a problem than in the past. Maybe it’s just sheer volume of sales that brings this about (ratio of failures). Good luck with your new electronics, bet it will make a world of difference especially because you like the guitar to begin with.

Replace the parts, they’re junk. Absolutely not a fan of fix it in a can, great for a Pinto but not so good far any import brand guitar that lately seems to be more of a problem than in the past. Maybe it’s just sheer volume of sales that brings this about (ratio of failures). Good luck with your new electronics, bet it will make a world of difference especially because you like the guitar to begin with.
Thanks. I agree about the parts. I bought the Hollowbody II brand new and the pots got scratchy real fast. I live in Maryland and do have some humidity but man it was fast for them to get scratchy. And when I had received that guitar, barley out it down.

I know, right? You'd think they could use the quality pots from the Core line in at least the S2 line, if not the SE's as well.

The pots in my old Carvin never got scratchy or developed dead spots, and the guitar still sounds as good as it did on day one.

I love my S2 Thinline, but I still think it should have had the Core-quality pots and associated electronics installed straight from the factory.

Yes quality part are key. And I will still change all the internals…as they have been ordered. However…I think I am replacing the PUs as well. I know everyone talk how great they are…I just don’t hear it. Ideas?

Yes quality part are key. And I will still change all the internals…as they have been ordered. However…I think I am replacing the PUs as well. I know everyone talk how great they are…I just don’t hear it. Ideas?

You're not alone. I've yet to play one I fell in love with tone wise. Some have been ok, and better than others, but not pickups I'd end up keeping. If I didn't have anything else it may be another story.. if you're swapping pots might as well go pickups too! Tweak on!!!

But then again.. maybe the electronics could get you there. I've had a set of se pickups that I didn't like in the se but slapped them in another guitar with a quality harness and to my surprise I liked them so much they stayed.

I know this will sound silly. I want to replace my LP Standard (60’s). I want something that will stand up to some abuse. And sound amazing. I love the way the 594 plays and feels. Sound is okay. Nothing special. I have an Eastman hollowbody that is amazing. I am a huge JB fan. My LP is more of an investment. Anyways. I am open to ideas. Thanks.

Personally, I'd wait until the new pots and harness were in, then see if the tones improve for you. I say this because as the original pots in my Thinline started to go, my tone started to go as well. By the bitter end, the pickups sounded like s#*t. After the better pots and harness were installed - bingo - the guitar sounded great again. YMMV, but why not troubleshoot this step by step?

The weak link in these guitars is the soldering. The parts are ok but replacing the pots, switch, and jack with quality parts is a big step up. May as well just go for it if you have the means,
The other weak link on these 594's is how narrow the wiring holes are from the 3 way selector switch, all the way to the control cavity. I just rewired my 594 Singlecut, and I couldn't get the new 3 way switch with vintage braided wire, and the pickups wiring all the way thru to the control cavity. I ended up having to reinstall the stock 3 way switch, just to make things work.

Wow that is crazy. I will be attempting soon as all the parts come in. But good to know. With everything out, would be able to enlarge the hole? I know the long drill but are crazy expensive. Thanks for the info

If you like Duncan’s as I do, a 59 nickel covered neck and either a Pearly Gates (my fave Duncan bridge p/u) or JB would be a good complement. They sound good split also. I have that first combo in a Korean PRS Singlecut stop tail and love um. There’s tons of other pickup manufacturers also, all good depends on your budget/ tastes.

If you like Duncan’s as I do, a 59 nickel covered neck and either a Pearly Gates (my fave Duncan bridge p/u) or JB would be a good complement. They sound good split also. I have that first combo in a Korean PRS Singlecut stop tail and love um. There’s tons of other pickup manufacturers also, all good depends on your budget/ tastes.
Just an FYI if you want to try a different flavor of pickups. Wolf at Wolfetone Pickups has a 25% off sale going on. I purchased a set of Marshallheads from him shipped $215.00. They were built when ordered and on my doorstep in less than a week.

The other weak link on these 594's is how narrow the wiring holes are from the 3 way selector switch, all the way to the control cavity. I just rewired my 594 Singlecut, and I couldn't get the new 3 way switch with vintage braided wire, and the pickups wiring all the way thru to the control cavity. I ended up having to reinstall the stock 3 way switch, just to make things work.
Were you trying to fish the switch through the hole? That isn't typically how those are done. You would fish the wires through the hole and then solder them to the switch once they are through. I am not sure I have ever seen a channel big enough to fish a toggle switch through on any guitar with the switch up top.

Well that absolutely sucks. PRS needs to change the engineering specs & drawings so production does it right. This is like a "C'mon Man":(

Were you trying to fish the switch through the hole? That isn't typically how those are done. You would fish the wires through the hole and then solder them to the switch once they are through. I am not sure I have ever seen a channel big enough to fish a toggle switch through on any guitar with the switch up top.
I think the op must be referring to the wiring, not the switch itself.

Back