59/09 wiring question (want to use in standard hu bucking mode)

clay49

Just snagged a set of PRS 59/09 pickups, and wanting to install them into an LP clone I have, but not sure which wires to tape off, which is hot, what goes to ground, etc. These have sliver (which I assume is ground), red, white and black. I would think that one of the additional wires would be tied in with the ground, two taped off, and one that is hot....just need to know the formula!

I'm looking for a PRS pro to set me straight...thanks!

This is what I would try 1st, and I'm 99% sure it's correct. Bridge pickup: tape off red, white and bare to ground, black is hot. Neck pickup: tape off red, black and bare to ground, white is hot. I've never wired up the PRS rotary/blade compatible pickups in a dual volume guitar, but I'm reasonably certain this will work.

Great, thanks! I just heard from someone on The Gear Page as well, and he said that he got a new set this weekend and that the PRS wiring guide said exactly this. I'm warming up the soldering iron as I type! Thanks for your input!

Make sure mounting legs aren't too long before you take it apart. Been down that road.

Take what apart??? It's going into a CMG Ashlee, which is a quazi-LP build made in Statesboro, GA...should be plenty deep enough for the pickups.

You may want to check the polarity of the magnet in the neck pickup. I had to flip the magnet in a set of 59/09s to use in the kind of set-up you're considering.

you'll love the 5909s in a les paul.
i have them in a heritage h150 - my pup have the braided wires with the white coil tap.

Hello John,
Perhaps you could shine some light my way as well. I just got a 59/09 bridge pickup (uncovered) and I was trying to install it on my P22. Using the same color scheme as the 57/08 pickup that came with the guitar I get the full humbucking sound but the split tones sound out of phase. I tried many different combinations of wiring such as switching the wires around and there was only one combination where all the split coil tones worked properly but the full humbucking tone was out of phase.

I double-checked the wiring diagram for the P22 on the website to make sure but no luck.

Back