Wiring explanation for a new 59/09 bridge pickup

Rod/

Vibrato & String Bender
Hi all. Just bought a new 59/09 bridge squabbin for one of my guitars but it came with no wiring info at all.
there‘s ground, black, red and white wires. I just want to wire it up as a full humbucker. No coil split (yet)
which wire is hot, which is ground, ect. Is the extra wire not used except for splitting the humbucker?
any info, as always, is greatly appreciated….
Rod

Last edited:
I just used this for a new 57/08 installed the other night.

0bd9946c36d54aea2503974becad0406--color-codes-seymour189335dea42d4259.jpg

Thanks @SinSir . different Wiring than what @ViperDoc suggested. Maybe PRS changed the color coding over the years. My 59/09 is new as well
Indeed, PRS seems to change the hot & ground colors based on whether it's a treble vs. bass pickup. Here's another (possibly helpful, possibly not) resource:

...but if you read into it a little, it's clear that what SinSir shared is correct. This how both my post-2015-ish Custom 24 & Custom 22 have been/are wired. (I've been in there a couple times, specifically putting 59/09 pickups in there.)

Indeed, PRS seems to change the hot & ground colors based on whether it's a treble vs. bass pickup. Here's another (possibly helpful, possibly not) resource:

...but if you read into it a little, it's clear that what SinSir shared is correct. This how both my post-2015-ish Custom 24 & Custom 22 have been/are wired. (I've been in there a couple times, specifically putting 59/09 pickups in there.)
Thanks @Going Modal . That’s helpful as well…:).

Well looky there! That’s very interesting. The coil split wire on 58/18 is white, so there is obviously no set color code, and whatever may be current might warrant an email to the PTC. Thanks for finding that document, @SinSir .
Is the 58/15 a braided wire? Those have a white split. I added a used 58/15LT braided+white in the neck and a new 57/08 3 wire+ground in the bridge.

Thanks for the doc goes to fellow tweaker @Bowtiefanatc for sending it over to me the other night. If only PRS included it with the pickups...

Last edited:
I really don’t understand why PRS sell pickups without color codes inside the box. Or at least on the website where they sell the pickup. Such a simple step that they neglect. Why make the purchaser go thru more troubles?
I don’t understand this either. It’s a $200 pickup.. (but well worth it)..
If it wasn’t for you guys I’d be trying the trial and error method, at least with a multimeter…

I don’t understand this either. It’s a $200 pickup.. (but well worth it)..
If it wasn’t for you guys I’d be trying the trial and error method, at least with a multimeter…

I was right there with a multimeter the other night with a HSH, push/pull, and a 6 way. You would have thought the new pickup would have been the easy part...

Back