59/09 Bridge PU for a P22

Andyman

I have a P22 with 53/10's. I would love to swap the bridge with a 59/09. I hear the P22 pickups are reverse wound. Has anyone put a regular 59 in a p22 or does any one know if the make "P22" 59?

Reverse wound? Never heard of that. Sometimes they will reverse a magnet on 1 of the 2 pickups. If that's the case, any magnet can be flipped anytime. Not sure on the reverse wound thing, I'll let an expert clear this up.

When I replaced the original Archtop pups on an older HB II, the winder (Wolfetone) advised me to get 4 conductor pups because of this issue. Sure enough, when my tech did install them the "usual way" they were out of phase. He had to fish them back out of the hollowbody and rewire, after which they worked properly. That is a guitar with piezo pickup, so I am ASSUMING the same would apply. But then your P22 presumably has a 5 way rather than a 3 way switch, so different rules might apply.

I am CLEARLY not the wiring/electronics guru!

This is the best answer I have heard so far.. It is still greek to me on how wiring effects phase. But it sounds like with more info I should be able to put in a standard 59 and wire it differently. It's a start anyway. If anyone has more info it would be greatly appreciated.

When I replaced the original Archtop pups on an older HB II, the winder (Wolfetone) advised me to get 4 conductor pups because of this issue. Sure enough, when my tech did install them the "usual way" they were out of phase. He had to fish them back out of the hollowbody and rewire, after which they worked properly. That is a guitar with piezo pickup, so I am ASSUMING the same would apply. But then your P22 presumably has a 5 way rather than a 3 way switch, so different rules might apply.

I am CLEARLY not the wiring/electronics guru!

Okay, I think switching the hot" lead and a "negative" lead will change the phase..

Juka did a PU swap on his P22 recently. I'm not sure what his issues were but logic would dictate that either flipping a magnet (or 2?) or by changing the wiring you can overcome this:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...-couple-pickup-swaps-and-could-use-some-input

Then again it may just be the neck PU which is "different" so a Bridge PU swap may be easy.

You could just send it to the PTC and not give it a second thought of course!

Juka did a PU swap on his P22 recently. I'm not sure what his issues were but logic would dictate that either flipping a magnet (or 2?) or by changing the wiring you can overcome this:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...-couple-pickup-swaps-and-could-use-some-input

Then again it may just be the neck PU which is "different" so a Bridge PU swap may be easy.

You could just send it to the PTC and not give it a second thought of course!

I believe that is correct on all points. Been awhile since I've thought about any of this, my aging, tired brain seems to be losing data! :D

So the are 2 bridge and 1 neck 53/10 that are not occupying a guitar right now? Where are they going?

That sounds interesting! Let us know how it goes. And let me know if they wind up homeless again!

All I can say, you'll find under the link Justmund already posted.

Thanks Just. How are you doing?

If you contact PTC, I would love to hear their answer,
because when I asked Shawn about it some months ago -and I really wanted to stay within the PRS range of PUs and specifically asked about the Tremonti and \m/ sets- the answer was "No".

I'm good mate, have only been home 3 days out of the last 3 months tho!

The \m/ and Tremonti sets may be difficult because they are covered (well one Tremonti is anyway) so flipping the magnet suddenly becomes a much bigger deal, especially if wax potted.

I'm a 53/10 hoarder, I have 2 x sets of covered and 2 x sets of uncovered. The 59/09 will end up in a Studio... one day...

I understand. I guess I will just have to keep buying the whole guitar!

All I can say, you'll find under the link Justmund already posted.

Thanks Just. How are you doing?

If you contact PTC, I would love to hear their answer,
because when I asked Shawn about it some months ago -and I really wanted to stay within the PRS range of PUs and specifically asked about the Tremonti and \m/ sets- the answer was "No".
I would love to know the answer as well, doesn't sound like I'll be owning a P22 if that's the case. Now, if it's a neck pickup deal and I could just replace the bridge pickup, I'd be ok with that.

Back