20th Anniversary Hollowbody II piezo

tcaron20

I’ve owned this guitar for about 12 years and while it plays like butter, it is very particular to the type of amp used to get a decent sound.
I believe there are McCarty pups in it. i switch back and forth from the piezo to regular pups but when rocking it out with no piezo, it just falls flat with a dead tone.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? Are they four wire pups?

thanks!

I’ve owned this guitar for about 12 years and while it plays like butter, it is very particular to the type of amp used to get a decent sound.
I believe there are McCarty pups in it. i switch back and forth from the piezo to regular pups but when rocking it out with no piezo, it just falls flat with a dead tone.

Any suggestions for a good replacement? Are they four wire pups?

thanks!
Yes, I’ve considered changing out that Archtop pickups in my HBs for the same reason… great for clean, jazzy sounds but a bit dark for anything else. I don’t have the piezo, so I compensate on the amp eq. I’d love to hear them with 57/08 or 59/09 pickups, or a combination. Though I can’t bring myself to mod mine, I’ve always thought an HB Spruce with 3 Narrowfields and a 5 way switch would be wonderful.

Maybe that PS on the bucket list…

I have had the same experience with the stock Archtop pickups - they just sound blah.

Replace with 57/08s and your guitar will wake right up. (Major extra points if you can find unobtainium 53/10s)

=K

Back