2019 McCarty DC Pickup Help / Opinions

Ed Gardella

So .. about 2 years ago i picked in (in trade on the TGP) a 2019 McCarty DC. Light as a feather, plays great and i even found out that it is the exact guitar that was shown at the early 2020 NAMM show. It is actually in the YT video. I believe that PRS was showing it to describe a handful of changes that were being made to these guitars. The case sticker even has the serial number and (NAMM) on it.

Anyway, what i didn't realize is that the original 58/15 LTs had been replaced by WT Marshallheads. I will say that the guitar plays great and sounds very good with the exception of the neck pickup being a tad dark for me. I've been toying with looking for a set (of rediculously expensive) original pickups.

Looking to get some opinions from you PRS experts and cork sniffers (LOL). Thanks

Unless you're concerned with resale value and having everything original, I would say if you're happy with how it sounds, then no need to change it. Or at most, maybe just replace the neck pickup if you really don't care for the tone of it.

I have Marshallheads in one of my McCartys and it sounds great. I have WT Legends in the other two and they sound great too. If you want a clearer neck pickup, you could get a Legend to go with the Marshallhead, but there would be a noticeable volume difference. If you haven't already, you can raise the poles on the neck MH by 1/2 to 1 turn and lower the pickup by the same amount. That helps clear things up a bit.

Iwould agree with "if it ain't broke"
I have the LT's in 2 guitars (HBII and Special), they are clear and crisp, great when split( best single sound I've heard yet) , roll off the tone and they fatten up nicely . Being low winds they do lack warmth compared to my 57/08's , however the 57/08's don't have as good of split single to my ear.

Last edited:
I had Wolfetone Marshallheads in a Les Paul and I thought they were phenomenal for the sound I was looking for. LTs did nothing for me in my 594, it really just depends what sound you’re going for, they each do their own thing well.

After PRS pickups Wolfe is my go to guy. His pups and service are awesome. Are both pickups MH? A popular combo of his is DrV in the neck and MH in the bridge. Have you tried adjusting pickup and pole pieces? You could always reach out to Wolfe. He's a super nice and accommodating guy.

I swapped the 58/15 LT pickups out of my McCarty and put in 57/08 pickups. I like them better. The 58/15 LT pickups were too much of a volume drop off for me when switching guitars at gigs. I have the 57/08s in a number of my other PRS guitars so these mesh better with those. However, I kept the stock pickups and will definitely swap them back if I ever sell the guitar. There may come a day where I decide to put them back just because I want them in there again. If you have the money now, they had them on the PRS accessories page for sale the last time I looked. I am sure they will not have them for sale forever so I would act now if you want them.

I just checked the site and they still have them there but they are showing as sold out. Who knows if they will add more stock to sell.

Back