2012 prs se custom 24 string guage question

eveyprs

hi all , i have a 2012 prs se custom 24 i have had since new and love it, my question is i have 9/46 on it std tunned and i am thinking of going up to 10/46 in eb tunning, i know it will need the trem and prob neck adj my tech can do that but has anyone done this to there se custom 24, what are the avantages of the 10/46 over the 9/46?any feedback would be great.
regards
Dave in Australia

To answer your question,thicker gauge strings have better tone, and better sustain.now for bending the thicker string should not be all that bad,cause your only going up to 10'gauge..i hope that help u .good luck buddy. P.s,it doesn't matter what you tune your guitar too,

I used ones strings PRS 10-46. Not good...and 09-42 are too thin for me. I like PRS but this is a question for me...

Unless things have changed, I thought the .46 gauge was too thick on the SE - the nut was cut for .42.....at least that was how it was on my SE back in '08 / '09. I never had an issue fitting a .10 in the high-E slot, just the bass side was where I had issues. I ended up changing the nut and now play with .10 - 46 on the SE.

I had several SECU24s and switched from 9-42s to 10-46s on all of them. Maybe I got lucky, but mine worked well and stayed comparably stable with minimal or no filing. I am sure the nut probably should have been re-cut or replaced, but I never got that far with them.

Tone-wise, I thought it was a good improvement - rounded things out a bit, and beefed up the bottom end - worked well with the SE HFS/VB pickups.

I use Ernie Ball 10-52s on all my guitars, and I keep them tuned in drop D down a half step. No issues whatsoever, very minimal filing of the nut was required during setup for the new gauge. If you're not comfortable filing your own nut, have your local guitar store tech do it. Usually a basic setup would include filing the nut if necessary, shouldn't be a crazy charge for setups. I've paid anywhere from $35 to $70, depending on which store I went to and how much work was needed on the guitar. If you're going up a gauge to counteract tuning down a half step, I'd reccomend the 10-52 set if you're using 9-46 currently. But that's really a matter of personal preference, your mileage may vary. Try the 10-46 first, it's easier to make the nut slots wider than it is to make them skinnier, for sure!

hi all , i have a 2012 prs se custom 24 i have had since new and love it, my question is i have 9/46 on it std tunned and i am thinking of going up to 10/46 in eb tunning, i know it will need the trem and prob neck adj my tech can do that but has anyone done this to there se custom 24, what are the avantages of the 10/46 over the 9/46?any feedback would be great.

Thicker strings have more tone and thinner strings are easier to play especially if you bend them - it's a trade-off. I use 9/42 on my CU24 because a solid body doesn't have a whole lot of sound to begin with and the amp + FX can make it sound like whatever I want. On my acoustic I use medium gauge phosphor bronze because I want a fuller sound without amplification, but I don't try to bend them.

Back