1988 CE inbound, new member intro

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
New member here; I've been on other gear forums years ago and am returning to playing after a ten year hiatus. Started playing in the late 80s, and had several pre-95 CEs (and an EG) many years ago. I like the pre-90 guitars as they show the company still defining the aspects of the core instruments, and the 1988 and 1989 CEs I used to own really ripped. Sounded, played and looked fantastic.

I live about 100 miles north of the factory. Me and a buddy (who has owned my old 89 CE for 20 years) toured the factory in 97. Really great experience. I remember in the early 90s, all kinds of interesting early PRS models were in the local shops. All were out of my budget then except for the CEs. I owned a red metallic 91, a transparent blue 94, pearl white 88, tobacco burst 89, and a brown burst 93 EG1.

About a dozen years ago, I sold off my last PRS (pearl white all original 1988 CE) and focused collecting other brands (mostly 1940s/50s Fender). In 2009 I found a 1995 CE on Ebay, player's condition (wear, factory pickups replaced by Ice Buckers, rotary replaced with 3 way toggle) but included ohsc and original pickups and rotary for a good price. That was the last guitar I bought for six years.

A week ago I decided to start looking for an affordable 88 or 89 CE. Found a white pearl 88 CE yesterday at a Guitar Center. Paint chips, pickups replaced by SD P Rails, strap buttons missing, but a hardshell case is included, and the trem bar was there also. Found a pair of NOS 1988 unmarked pickups - what might be Vintage Treble, and Single Coil Bass. I also have a spare Dragon 1 bridge, and the HFS/VB pair from from my 95 CE to test.

So - with some luck - next weekend, a first year CE will be returned to something close to stock. I'll post pics once the guit arrives.

LOVE CEs, especially the older alder ones! Looking forward to how this project turns out...

I am also an early CE lover. Good luck with your project, and please let us know how it turns out. And glad you're back into playing!

First - Can anyone tell me what brand of pots and 3-way toggle were being used in 1988? Going to be fun to track down correct year components.

#870341 (ok, looks like an early `89 based on that number) has arrived. Going to wait until tomorrow morning to take pics when natural lighting is better.

The good: body and neck are intact. Neck plate, cavity plates, input jack plate and all related screws appear to be original. Mil-Com bridge is all there; trem bar is about 1/4" shorter than that of my `95 CE. Knobs may be original. Love the abalone moons.

The bad: Stock pickups replaced (known issue), ohsc missing, stock tuners replaced with some kind of chrome locking tuners (bunch of holes in the back of the headstock for tuner screws), truss rod cover replaced, pickup mounting rings replaced, all electronics replaced (not sure about the jack). Mismatched strap buttons, don't think either is original.

The ugly: depending on how you look at old guitars... this guitar is about 27 years old now, and nicely reliced. At least one person played the hell out of this thing, which means one thing to me: it must rip for someone to play it so much. Lots of paint chips on the edge, and medium paint checking between the pups. LOTS of wear on the back of the neck. I'm careful with my toys, but accidents happen. This guitar? No worries about any future paint damage. As many if not most PRS owners like to keep their guits in nice shape, this one proves that not all are safe queens and provides contrast. Personally, I think the relic look of this guit looks great because it's natural - I'm only going to replace hardware and electronics to bring it back to spec. The neck plate has a spot of rust on it, and appears to have been repainted with spray paint.

Nice surprise: Paul autographed the back of the headstock, gold ink.

How does it play? Bridge is set up wrong- 3 springs and screwed flat to the body. But it plays well and action is low. I know how to set up one of these, so that indicates that it will play just as well properly set up with the bridge floating. Bridge mounting screws are at different heights, keeping my fingers crossed that those screws weren't torqued while the strings were under tension. Frets could use a level and crown, but I have to learn how to do that first.

Overall... I'm happy with it. Was really hoping the ohsc was going to be there, but oh well. Tuners were also a disappointment. Everything else I'm happy with. Very happy to get a CE with serial# under 500. I've restored a bunch of early Fenders (guitars, lap steels and amps) and am looking forward to making this old guit complete.

Last edited:
DSC_0158_zpsyj27jpxa.jpg
DSC_0160_zpsqgfh6ez9.jpg
DSC_0168_zps82atztnh.jpg
DSC_0167_zpsul7ppwsg.jpg
IMG_20151119_083912815_zpswdu1u5db.jpg

Last edited:
Just finished cleaning and restringing. Gotta say one thing about these old models, they hold up well to abuse. In addition to all the fret wear and paint dings, Florida humidity left a bunch of green corrosion on the underside of the bridge. Bridge cleaned up pretty well, there is pitting and saddle plating wear. I did watch the John Mann youtube setup vid as it's been many years since I've done a full bridge tear down and setup. Trem operates perfectly now, knife pivot points and screws had no problems. It plays great in spite of heavy fret wear. Frets were cleaned with Nevr Dull, board cleaned with lemon oil.

Ordered all the needed replacement parts direct from PRS - truss rod cover, strap buttons, pickup mounting rings, vol/tone pots. I have a chrome 3 way toggle that will work for now. Now just need to find a set of tuners.

Just finished cleaning and restringing. Gotta say one thing about these old models, they hold up well to abuse. In addition to all the fret wear and paint dings, Florida humidity left a bunch of green corrosion on the underside of the bridge. Bridge cleaned up pretty well, there is pitting and saddle plating wear. I did watch the John Mann youtube setup vid as it's been many years since I've done a full bridge tear down and setup. Trem operates perfectly now, knife pivot points and screws had no problems. It plays great in spite of heavy fret wear. Frets were cleaned with Nevr Dull, board cleaned with lemon oil.

Ordered all the needed replacement parts direct from PRS - truss rod cover, strap buttons, pickup mounting rings, vol/tone pots. I have a chrome 3 way toggle that will work for now. Now just need to find a set of tuners.
Awesome!!!! I saw a few sets of wing tuners on ebay!!! too bad you have 2 sets of holes in the headstock already

Nice score and awesome project. Looking forward to seeing you work through it.

Awesome!!!! I saw a few sets of wing tuners on ebay!!! too bad you have 2 sets of holes in the headstock already

Just ordered a set with one damaged tuner. I'm mechanically inclined, see if I can repair it. As far as those additional holes in the headstock, that's part of the "not one square inch left undamaged" theme.

If you can't get it to work, Sergio may be able to help you out with some spare parts. Pretty sure there's nothing more he'd like to see than winged tuners going back on an early, white CE!

Back