Yeah, I'm That Guy Who Writes an Orchestral Score Around a Scene in a Book. I Do That.

László

Too Many Notes
Had a few days just sitting around waiting to hear back on a demo, and thought I'd use the time productively.

I've been reading a book on Sir Francis Drake, and it details his journey circumnavigating the Earth, 1577-1580. He was the first to do it and return alive. Magellan almost did it, but was hacked to death by indigenous people before he got back. Bad luck for him.

Anyway, the book has some pretty harrowing stories about being becalmed, run aground, storms, etc. At one point there was eerie calm in Antarctic waters as he was rounding South America, surrounded by sheer cliffs of ice and strange events.

I was thinking about all that, and I decided to 'score' it, to create a tone poem about it. So imagine the ship not moving, no wind. It's been like that for a few days, and everyone's freaking out. But suddenly the sails start luffing, gradually filling, and the ship is slowly under sail Still scary, still dangerous, but...you're moving.

Only crazy people score books, not movies. That'd be me.

Last edited:
I really love the concept of taking the written word and portraying it in tone! Cool stuff and the music fits perfect with the scene you describe!! You are an orchestral MACHINE Mr. L and we are lucky to have you sharing your visions/creations with us!!!

I really love the concept of taking the written word and portraying it in tone! Cool stuff and the music fits perfect with the scene you describe!! You are an orchestral MACHINE Mr. L and we are lucky to have you sharing your visions/creations with us!!!
You are a very kind person, Moondog! I figure it this way:

Mozart was able to do this as a child age 7. Mendelssohn was writing more sophisticated stuff than this at 14.

And compared to Bach, well, we're all idiots.

So I've learned I ain't all that! Still, I like doing it. ;)

It's wonderful! The way you write is beyond what my feeble rock 'n' roll brain can comprehend.

But I'll tell you what. Years ago I bought a Yamaha YPG 235 keyboard. Lot's of sounds. I was in Guitar Center one day with no thought of buying a keyboard and it was on sale for a great price. I bought it knowing at the time I really didn't have the time to learn how to play but in years to come I'd like to learn. I think the time is now.

Just lately I'm getting back into writing mode in an attempt to keep my mind busy. I'm not looking for sympathy, but my son (who went through a divorce) was living with me for the past year and four months and it was wonderul having him here. (I live alone). Well, he just moved out this past Friday and I can't believe how much I miss him. I mean, it hurts. But I am doing better today than I was Friday when he left and I know each day will get better because the father and son bond and love is stronger than ever.

I've been busy with house projects during these past few days and after dinner it's been music time. So after I eat I'm going to bring that keyboard up from the basement to start learning and to see what I can come up with on a new instrument. Wish me luck. As of right now I doubt I could find middle C!!

Thanks for the inspiration Les.

I hear it! Foreboding and still, and then the hope of movement, but also the anxiety of leaving the relative safety of the calm.

"Yeah, it's a great book, sounds like you've read it?"

"No, but I listened to a guy's 3 minute orchestral clip inspired by the book, so I basically got the whole story."

I hear it! Foreboding and still, and then the hope of movement, but also the anxiety of leaving the relative safety of the calm.

"No, but I listened to a guy's 3 minute orchestral clip inspired by the book, so I basically got the whole story."
Right, screw the old "Cliff's Notes", we have moved on to the "Les Notes"!

Right, screw the old "Cliff's Notes", we have moved on to the "Les Notes"!

You guys crack me up!!!

Laughing out loud here!

Back