Will stopbar tailpiece slots accommodate a set of size .013 -.062/.065 strings?

guitarfan85

I plan on making a metal monster out of a PRS se soap bar ii. Swapping pups, heavier strings and so forth. Can these bridges with the slots accommodate really heavy strings? If not, can it be modded in any way? Can it just be filed if done right? I know I would most likely have to file the nut as well but that is a lesser concern right now. Thanks

You'd probably want an adjustable bridge…

Jamie

Ideally, yes. I just can't afford $300 for a bridge right now. But does anyone actually know if the strings will fit nicely I to a non adjustable bridge without slipping out?

(Granted they do fit, there will be no way to Intonate right?)

I've heard of 11s being fine. I don't know about anything bigger, though.

wedge says it right!

You guys are crushing my dreams of turning a soap bar guitar into a metal monster. Haha

Id prefer to tune to B but maybe I'll have to settle for D at most, comfortablly. Im just lusting for this model i love its simplicity with the flatter top and the coat that allows me to still see wood grain (vintage cherry)

They won't intonate right above a ten gauge set.

Why is that exactly? Because the strings are bigger than the slots I assume? I have 013s on my les Paul and no intonation was needed just strung it up and go. And I don't think those slots were meant for heavy strings either...

Can anyone give me tips on how to file the bridge?

It's not an issue of the string not fitting. They will fit fine. I use a .60 on my lowest string. The stoptail is made for standard sets of strings. When you get into strings that heavy, you need to be able to adjust intonation on each individual string. The standard stoptail doesn't allow for that. The pigtail from stewmac comes with unslotted saddles. You need to have them slotted by a tech - you need the radius to match the fretboard....not really something I'd do unless you know what you're doing.

http://www.schroederguitars.com/buy/guitar-parts/schroeder-adjustable-stoptail-bridge

here ya go and for an extra $10 he will slot the gauge and radius for you!

Wow this looks like a great option. 2 questions:

1. since the pigtails are a few bucks cheaper, if I were to get them and bring them to a guitar shop about how much do you think they would charge to slot the saddles?

2. If I go with either the pigtails or the Schroeder's, would I have to get special studs/inserts? Or they fit just fine on the PRS SE studs that are already in the body? (Probably a dumb question I know)

Thanks

I've heard nothing but praise for the Scroeder bridge on SE and US PRS guitars. They have all been slotted before shipping AFAIK and get it right first time.

If you're gonna do it, go Schroeder if a PRS adjustable isn't viable (though if it's a dream to make a proper monster, why not wait a bit longer and do it right 100%?).

I've heard nothing but praise for the Scroeder bridge on SE and US PRS guitars. They have all been slotted before shipping AFAIK and get it right first time.

If you're gonna do it, go Schroeder if a PRS adjustable isn't viable (though if it's a dream to make a proper monster, why not wait a bit longer and do it right 100%?).

Because the PRS adjustable bridge is adjustable in the way that you can move the saddles back and forth, but the slots are still standard size, is that correct?

Besides if I'm going to spend money on PRS American parts then I might as well save and get an American made PRS Custom but I haven't the patience nor money.

If you say Schroeder is good enough, I'll take your word for it:biggrin:

They won't intonate right above a ten gauge set.
Sorry, this is just not correct. I run 11-49s on all my PRS guitars, except the Mushok. They intonate perfectly. The only way you might be correct is if you have one of those funky sets of 11s with a wound G string, but these are far less common than having a .018 plain G.

For a while I also ran 13s on my stoptail Mira and tuned it to B standard and it intonated close enough for rock and roll. I don't know about other styles of music though. :top:

Because the PRS adjustable bridge is adjustable in the way that you can move the saddles back and forth, but the slots are still standard size, is that correct?

Besides if I'm going to spend money on PRS American parts then I might as well save and get an American made PRS Custom but I haven't the patience nor money.

If you say Schroeder is good enough, I'll take your word for it:biggrin:
The slots on the PRS adjustable are plenty big to accommodate your string gauge. Best designed stoptail I've seen. That said, have heard nothing but good things about the Schroeder bridge.

hmm you might need these not sure for the shroeder. But it will lock everything nice and tight and really be a sustain machine! Plus being set can restring with out bridge coming off etc and once intonation is set should stay set!.

Sorry, this is just not correct. I run 11-49s on all my PRS guitars, except the Mushok. They intonate perfectly. The only way you might be correct is if you have one of those funky sets of 11s with a wound G string, but these are far less common than having a .018 plain G.

For a while I also ran 13s on my stoptail Mira and tuned it to B standard and it intonated close enough for rock and roll. I don't know about other styles of music though. :top:

When you had those .013s on there did you make any adjustments to the nut at all to accommodate the string size or did it work just fine?

Back