Why Jeff Beck has been my favorite guitarist for almost 60 years...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
I met him once.

In 1968 he played three nights in Michigan. Two in Detroit and one in Ann Arbor. I went to all three nights.

The Grande Ballroom was Detroit's version of the Filmore.

The bands would just walk through the crowd and you could walk right up and talk to guys like Jeff Beck or Eric Clapton.

Last edited:
I saw him with SRV at Cobo Hall. That was something. I snuck down to the sixth row for a few SRV songs before I got booted.

Theres an interview on YouTube where he plays Where Were You off the cuff. That and his playing with Clapton (not sure if it was The Last Waltz or Policemans Other Ball). Just a total command of the instrument

I saw him with SRV at Cobo Hall. That was something. I snuck down to the sixth row for a few SRV songs before I got booted.

Theres an interview on YouTube where he plays Where Were You off the cuff. That and his playing with Clapton (not sure if it was The Last Waltz or Policemans Other Ball). Just a total command of the instrument
Cobo Hall...brings back a lot of great memories.

Cobo burned down, right? We used to go to the auto shows there. Back when cars were made in Detroit.
Completely wrong on both counts!!

Cobo Hall never burned down. It was given some renovations a few years back, but there was never a fire. It's been renamed 'Huntington Center' for some unknown reason.

The North American International Auto Show is STILL held in its convention halls. I've done a TON of music for NAIAS exhibits in Detroit, Chicago, LA and Europe, and usually go when I'm hired to do music for it ((those shows largely put my kids through college!).

Cars are still made in the old (but renovated) places in the Detroit area. Lots of 'em!

F-150s are made in Dearborn, Mustangs in Flat Rock, Bronco and Ranger are built in Wayne. Dodge Ram trucks are made in Sterling Heights, as are some Jeep models. The heaviest duty RAM trucks are made in the Warren assembly plant. The 3 Row Jeep Grand Cherokee is made in the Detroit assembly plant, the two-row at Jefferson North in Detroit, as is Durango.

GM's EVs, including the Cadillac Escalade EV and the Chevrolet Silverado EV are made in the Detroit Hamtramck plant. It also produced the Chevrolet Impala, the Buick LaCrosse and the Cadillac CT6. The Orion assembly plant makes the Bolt and one other.

The GM A-chassis cars are made in the Lansing factory, and GM's big trucks are still built in Flint.

The Wixom plant is still making cars, but I forget what. I know I'm leaving out lots of models made in the area.

As you know, all of these places are within an hour of Detroit (Flint, Toledo and Lansing being the farthest but they've ALWAYS been in operation). Jeep's old Toledo factory has been making the Wranglers forever (since the AMC days). Only a few of the old plants have been shuttered; one is the original Ford factory from before WW1, and the other is the Packard plant. I think everything else is still up and running. Even the Ontario, Canada plant is in the Detroit area, right across the river. Most of the factories are either in the city or within 20 minute drives from it.

That's a crapload of cars still made in the Detroit area! In addition to the car assembly plants, lots of subassembly and parts manufacturers, tool makers, die makers, etc., are still in the Detroit area. If anything, Detroit is busier making cars than it has been in many years!

Too many urban legends about the collapse of manufacturing in Detroit. We're still busy here, and Michigan's economy is doing pretty well (14th largest GDP in the US, 10th most populous state). Actually, Michigan's GDP would rank in the top 25 or so if Michigan was a country instead of a state. That's also true of other states in the US.

Of course, California's economy is larger than most countries', including Russia's; it's nearly as large as Germany's entire GDP, which is the 4th largest in the world, and significantly larger than everyone else, including India, the UK, France, Brazil, Italy, Canada and S. Korea.

Last edited:
Completely wrong on both counts!!

Cobo Hall never burned down. It was given some renovations a few years back, but it never burned down. The North American International Auto Show is still held in its convention halls. I've done a TON of music for NAIAS exhibits in Detroit, Chicago, LA and Europe, and usually go when I'm hired to do music for it.

Cars are still made in the old (but renovated) places in the Detroit area. F-150s are made in Dearborn, Mustangs in Flat Rock, Bronco and Ranger are built in Wayne. Dodge Ram trucks are made in Sterling Heights, as are some Jeep models. The heaviest duty RAM trucks are made in the Warren assembly plant. The 3 Row Jeep Grand Cherokee is made in the Detroit assembly plant, the two-row at Jefferson North in Detroit, as is Durango.

GM's EVs, including the Cadillac Escalade EV and the Chevrolet Silverado EV are made in the Detroit Hamtramck plant. It also produced the Chevrolet Impala, the Buick LaCrosse and the Cadillac CT6. The Orion assembly plant makes the Bolt and Sonic.

The GM Alpha chassis cars are made in the Lansing factory, and GM's big trucks are still built in Flint.

The Wixom plant is still making cars, but I forget what.

In fact, all of these are within an hour of Detroit, as is Jeep's old Toledo factory that's been making the Wranglers forever. Only a few of the old plants have been shuttered; one is the original Ford factory from before WW1, and the other is the Packard plant.

That's a crapload of cars still made in the Detroit area! In addition to the car assembly plants, lots of subassembly and parts manufacturers, tool makers, die makers, etc., are still in the Detroit area. If anything, Detroit is busier making cars than it has been in many years!
Ouch! Well I haven't lived in Detroit for about 40 or 45 years so I've lost touch.

Ya know know what? I was mixing Cobo up with the Ford Rotunda. That did burn down but it was in the 60's when I was a kid.

Ouch! Well I haven't lived in Detroit for about 40 or 45 years so I've lost touch.

Ya know know what? I was mixing Cobo up with the Ford Rotunda. That did burn down but it was in the 60's when I was a kid.
Yup. They never rebuilt it.

But honestly, I never could figure out what its purpose was. They showed off the new Fords there, but you could see them at a dealer. They had some concept cars, but they'd have shown them at auto show anyway. They had Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum nearby.

No wonder they never made another one!

A personally interesting factoid (well, interesting to me) is that the Rotunda was designed by Albert Kahn, who was also the architect for the Fisher Building and the house my wife grew up in. It was a fantastic house (we dated as far back as high school).

Last edited:
And Ford has rebuilt the Michigan Central Station. I never thought that would happen. Can’t wait to walk through it and then go grab some tacos.

As long as there’s a Jobby Nooner, there will be cars made in detroit.

Back