Who says Dragons are metal pickups?

Brad737

This space for rent...
As some of you may know, my wife and I have started a side business, so I haven't been playing a whole lot of guitar lately. So it's a treat when I get to plug in for a few minutes.

On a side note, I'm basically running the new business out of my basement, which is precisely where my guitars, and all but one of my amps live. Moral of the story is that my recording gear is tucked out of the way at the moment...

Anyway, one of my two favorite PRSes is a Modern Eagle loaded with Dragon pickups. I'd venture to guess that most folks would describe them as "hot" or even "metal" pickups. Yeah, they sound awesome doing that. But DANG! You should here them clean through my Underground 30. They just sound incredible...fat, but articulate, with a non-gainy sustain that just KILLS. I'd love to hear Tag or Kingsley D demo that setup for you all. I'm certainly not worthy to carry either of those two's guitar cases, but even with my limited skills, I was immediately thinking Larry Carlton or Robben Ford.

God, what fun!

I've never thought of Dragons as metal pickups, more as "rock" pickups that very much suited the music of the era for which they were designed, and more of course. So they're suitable for a lot of styles! I liked 'em on the CU22 I had them on (seems like such a long time ago!). They were very well suited to a Mesa Tremoverb that was my main amp at the time!

I think that PRS' metal pickups, truly designed for such use, are the Tremonti and the \m/ pickups.

But heck, you can play metal with any pickup, and play clean with a metal pickup. It's all a matter of taste, setting your amp up, etc.

Dragon 1's. Pretty much my favorite pick-ups of all time, all brands!

I like "metal" pickups for clean guitar tones provided you have an amp with enough headroom, they can sound really nice.

Having a couple Custom 22's with Dragon II's I've also got a pretty mean "metal" tone but I also tried the Tremonti's with even greater success in the hot pickup department. Has anyone has compared the metal pickups to the Tremonti's? The Tremonti's don't clean very well and I'm wondering if the Metal pickups would be about the same. Since the Metal pickups are newer I cannot find any comparison but a vague they are similar to Tremonti's. I actually would prefer HFS but they are way more expensive from what I've found unfortunately.

Back