Where's The Action?

László

Too Many Notes
**** Forget this thread, I've since changed the music substantially and took down the original track. ****

I was thinking (something to be avoided but I did it anyway)...

"Les, your music kind of all has a sort of thematic or classical vibe. There's a certain laid-back similarity. But I want some energy, dammit! Maybe you should challenge yourself and write a minute's worth of music for an imaginary action scene."

"Ya know, I don't often think about action scenes. But you're right, they're out there, and they need music. No one will ever know I can write this kind of thing if I don't do one."

"There ya go."

So I decided to get out the ol' Action Scene Spear (every studio should have one), poke myself in the ear with it, wipe the blood off my keys, and write a minute's worth of Action Scene Music. Youl kow what action scene music is, you've heard it a million times: Lots going on between string and brass sections, fast tempo, dissonant, with several stops and starts. Turns out, it's kinda complicated to write.

Once I got the spear point out of my ear, I put the remaining ear to work. Wrap your heads around this, ladies and germs:

Last edited:
Oh yeah this one is rockin', the string trill at the beginning almost had a Mission Impossible feel, then a flashback to Conan The Barbarian (my fave soundtrack album), but overall, feels like a space battle to me. Sci-fi.

Wonderful Les. This is definitely worth expanding to a much larger composition.

Remind again why you’re giving up composing!

Confused of Dundee.

Glad you liked it, fellas. I probably should lengthen it as Alnus suggests.

Remind again why you’re giving up composing!

Because...

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Last edited:
Everybody loves action! A gripping piece no doubt!! Was not sure I was getting out of there alive, but I am typing this response so I guess I survived!!! Was definitely concerned though at several points in that piece!!!! Great job Mr. Les, thanks for sharing!!!!!

Awesome piece Les! While I’d like it to be longer, should it be? What’s the duration of an average action scene? Maybe a few different ones would be good.

Back