Where have micro clothes been my entire life???

Parralax view

I have been a white cotton Tee Shirt guy most of my guitar life when it comes to cleaning, waxing, polishing, cleaning strings. Recently my old gal gave me a micro cloth she had never used and said "try this", Trog that I am, "no way, it feels rough to me". So after looking over my dismal tee shirt rags, I gave it a try, HS!!! I don't even use any wet stuff such as Formula 65 any more. It's just magic on my guitar finishes. Did I say I was a guitar trog afraid of change??....;-) My PRS looks like glass with this rag!!!

Uh, Micro cloth, not Micro Clothes...trog....;-)

Yeah. You "micro clothes" and I clicked right on it! Seriously though, I a micro cloth is all I use on the body and neck. I still prefer an all cotton tee or diaper for fretboards.

2632ee864de466f870ca85e84e9ba5a2.jpg

I have been a white cotton Tee Shirt guy most of my guitar life when it comes to cleaning, waxing, polishing, cleaning strings. Recently my old gal gave me a micro cloth she had never used and said "try this", Trog that I am, "no way, it feels rough to me". So after looking over my dismal tee shirt rags, I gave it a try, HS!!! I don't even use any wet stuff such as Formula 65 any more. It's just magic on my guitar finishes. Did I say I was a guitar trog afraid of change??....;-) My PRS looks like glass with this rag!!!

Uh, Micro cloth, not Micro Clothes...trog....;-)

You want the best Microfiber cloths? You gotta check out Norwex. My wife sells these things and they are friggin' incredible. I use them on my guitars and got rid of Formula 65, etc. too!

I've use these for years, and posted about them many times; Griot's Garage specs versions of microfiber cloths for various car polishing/cleaning needs. Since guitar finishes are an awful lot like car finishes, as opposed to household cleaning surfaces or eyeglasses, they work well without scratching the finish or creating swirl marks.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/microfiber+speed+shine+cloths+set+of+3.do

Believe it or not, even what seems to be very soft cotton can cause swirl marks, because the fibers are larger and thicker than microfiber. This can easily be tested by polishing a piece of clear plastic, like a CD case, etc. Rub it, and you'll see the cotton cause scratches. Microfiber cloths like the ones I linked won't cause them.

Clear coats on a guitar are a form of plastic, like the CD case (though they're different in certain ways, too, but you get the idea).

Simple.

Back