What is wrong with these two set lists?

OK...I have some "Freebird" experts here.....I hate to derail, but not as much as I desire to ask the following question....:flute:

When playing the rhythm part of "Freebird"...the opening repetitive sequence of G ? Em F C D.....my question is do you use D or D/F#m for the ? chord...and if you use the latter, is there any other way to fret it than standard D adding the 3rd fret fingered on the low E string??

OK...back to your set list..... and now you'll have some variations on adding a new song to the set list also!! Sorry for interrupting and thanks.;)

OK...I have some "Freebird" experts here.....I hate to derail, but not as much as I desire to ask the following question....:flute:

When playing the rhythm part of "Freebird"...the opening repetitive sequence of G ? Em F C D.....my question is do you use D or D/F#m for the ? chord...and if you use the latter, is there any other way to fret it than standard D adding the 3rd fret fingered on the low E string??

OK...back to your set list..... and now you'll have some variations on adding a new song to the set list also!! Sorry for interrupting and thanks.;)

I usually do thumb over top ala Hendrix to fret the F# for the D/F#.

I have never thought about that. Me thinks I'd do it different every time.

I usually don't bother with the high F# on that chord, for me it makes it easier to transition to a open G. I use 1st finger for the low F#, 2nd finger for the A and 3rd finger for the D.

We play a couple of AC/DC tracks which use that transition.

Back to the original question, the setlist seems fine if you're playing for the geriatric crowd. Assuming that it's a popular club though, people will mostly be in their 20s and 30s. While a few older tunes that you can dance to may be OK, most people want to hear stuff that was coming out when they were in high school. In general, Foo Fighters over Free, STP over Styx, Hootie over Hendrix, Theory of a Deadman over Tom Petty.......you get the picture. At the end of the day, Green Day is easier to make sound good live than Rush is anyway. It's instructive to go to the A-List clubs and see what the really popular bands (the ones that can draw 50 to 100 of their own crowd beyond what's there just because it's a bar...) play. You won't typically hear geezer rock standards.....and I say this as a geezer rock fan in my late 40s. Only exception that I see around here are bands that focus on a particular genre. There's a great band here that draws a great crowds that does nothing but 80s music...but they do it really really well. Having said that, if it just doesn't float your boat do do more modern stuff, nothing wrong with that. You'll likely be playing smaller bars, the crowd that you draw will be mainly friends and family, and the pay will be worse. As long as you're having fun though, so what?

And maybe it's geography dependant. For all I know, it's illeagal to play a club in Australia without at least 2 AC/DC per set... :)

Last edited:
If the crowd is mostly 20 something everything is wrong with the setlists,Wheres the hits for the youngsters?The most popular local coverband where i live play great rockversions of the hits from the last 10 years plus some oldies and very important,some songs for the ladies.A good advice is if you want to be a popular coverband,check out the karaoke nights.The barowners wants to sell beer and the crowd wants to dance and singalong..

Last edited:
Guys, what is wrong with these two set lists?
Set 1

1. Love Gun (KISS)
  2. Knocking At Your Backdoor (Depp Purple)
  3. She Drives Me Crazy (orig)
  4. TNT (AC/DC)
  5. Hot Blooded (Foreigner)
  6. Your Own Fault (orig)
  7. Breathe (Pink Floyd)
  8. Aquinas (orig)
  9. Living After Midnight (Judas Priest)
  10. Last Child (Aerosmith)
  11. Don't Go Away (orig)

Set 2

1. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
  2. Man On The Silver Mountain (Rainbow)
  3. Just Got Paid (ZZ Top)
  4. Train Kepta Rolling (Aerosmith)
  5. Train, Train (Blackfoot)
  6. Holy Diver (Dio)
  7. Stranglehold (Nugent)
  8. Blue And Evil (Joe Bonamassa)
  9. Back In The USSR (Beatles)
  10. Waiting On A Friend (Rolling Stones)
  11. Suite Madam Blue (Styx)

Pretty good setlist. Breathe seems like an odd choice. I love the tune but it's not one i'd throw into a set of covers unless it works well with your two originals?

Blue & Evil is a very cool tune BTW!

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! We're still building our third set and these have not yet been tested on a live audience. As with most bands, we're also only able to work with songs that our singer does well, i.e. no Bruce Dickenson, no Klaus Meine, no Geddy, no Brian Johnson (but we can do Bon Scott). We're also trying to play songs that we like and that we don't hear when we take in the other local classic rock bands.

No originals in the second set.
noted.

Dunno...need more cowbell? Lack of Hanson covers is mildly disturbing, but not enough so to leave after first set
Cowbell is used on "Last Child", although sparingly. "She Drives Me Crazy" is a Hanson original because it is one of mine, circa 1990.

Sweet Home Alabama is missing from both...
Blech. too overplayed.

Needs a good Polka. I'll be right over with my accordion.
"Diene Shiede Polka" is a request-only song.

I guess it depends on the aim of the band playing them...
we're still trying to figure that out...

On the downside, there's no Justin Bieber in either of them.
I'm assuming that is sarcasm, else 'blech'

Needs a Stone Temple Pilots song? Plush! OR maybe some Zep!
On the list for set 3

And Free Bird.
I do not have the skills to do any of those leads justice and our lead guitarist would get tired. he's old.

You end with a Styx song
We think it is a powerful set ender. Maybe we're wrong

Johnny Depp
hahahah!

What sorts of places are you playing? What is the age of the audience?
Here are some thoughts:
•A lot of that set list looks like songs that guitar players want to play. Is that your target audience?
•I think starting off with a bang is good. But is Love Gun the right tune? Given the lead and harmony vocals I would think you'd want to do that once you're singers are warmed up and in the groove of the night. But if you're comfortable with it then right on.
•Assuming you are playing in typical restaurant/bars I would play the originals later in the night once you "have" the crowd. Hitting folks with an original tune just a few songs in may not work out the way you want.
•Waiting on a Friend is a wonderful song but it stands out like a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest.
•Hot Blooded - ugh
•Stranglehold - I'd rather hear Hot Blooded again
re places to play: clubs that have classic rock bands
re "Love Gun": ironically, our singer does Paul Stanley so well that when we go to KISS concerts, he'll say stuff in the crowd before the show like 'awe, you know people? i heard some of you people like vodka and orange juice' and heads will turn.
re "Waiting On a Friend": an indulgence for the singer, and it's a slow song to break up the set
re "Hot Blooded": we actually do this twice. The second time is with lyrics that parody the guitarist's sister's cooking skills
re "Stranglehold": i enjoy the journey of the song, and since we can't do any Dead...

I would move two originals from the first set to the second. I would also end both sets (and begin for that matter) with songs that people are familiar with. But I definitely agree with WEDGE...you've got to nix that Styx song. I've never heard 'Suite Madam Blue' before today. The harmonies are cool but would the audience know that song well enough to end with it?
song familiarity depends on the audience. we believe that our audience will have comparable grey hair proliferation to us. But seriously? You've never heard "Suite Madam Blue"?

.. You'll likely be playing smaller bars, the crowd that you draw will be mainly friends and family, and the pay will be worse. As long as you're having fun though, so what?
Not in it for the money at all. In fact, we'll pay to play as long as we can have fun.

If the crowd is mostly 20 something everything is wrong with the setlists,Wheres the hits for the youngsters?
Dude. No good songs were written after 1993.

Pretty good setlist. Breathe seems like an odd choice. I love the tune but it's not one i'd throw into a set of covers unless it works well with your two originals?
Blue & Evil is a very cool tune BTW!
We start "Breathe" with a jam, then land on the song. i guess i'm still thinking that slower tempo songs sprinkled in a set list are still needed. "Blue and Evil" is indeed awesome, especially with the P22!

Back