Well now, isn’t that intersting? CE v SE

ECWEagles

Since I bought my SE24 I’ve been wondering, should I have bought a CE? Today I got to A/B them......

And I preferred the SE.

What I don’t think I’d appreciated fully is that they really are different guitars, not the same guitar at a different price point.

Given my other guitar is a strat, I need as little overlap as possible and whilst my SE reminds me of a Les Paul (but better) the CE really reminded me of my strat. The neck carve is strat like, the bolt on feels (really much more different then I expected) like strat and the sound frankly reminded me more of a strat. More snappy and more focussed with less harmonics. A bit more “immediate” if that makes any sense.

I’m glad I did it as it cured my GAS for a CE and really makes me appreciate my SE all the more.

What was also interesting was that there was honestly no discernible difference in the build quality.

Man those SE’s are good value.

Great observation - a lot of people ask which price point they should shop, and the response is to shop for the guitar because of what it is, not how much it costs. Thanks for sharing!!!

Yes, the SE are very nice guitars. I am really impressed with my SE Tremonti.

Love my SEs! Wouldn't have them if I didn't think they were quality instruments!

But I really want a CE - kinda the one PRS "type" I am missing (along with the Silver Sky, of course...or a DC3 I suppose).

Ugh, maybe I should go looking to see if any of those RL CEs are showing up for reasonable prices on the used market yet. Kinda wish I had ordered one when I grabbed my RL Vela.

EDIT: Nope, RL CEs still being asked at ridonkulous prices.

Last edited:
Love my SEs! Wouldn't have them if I didn't think they were quality instruments!

But I really want a CE - kinda the one PRS "type" I am missing (along with the Silver Sky, of course...or a DC3 I suppose).

Ugh, maybe I should go looking to see if any of those RL CEs are showing up for reasonable prices on the used market yet. Kinda wish I had ordered one when I grabbed my RL Vela.

EDIT: Nope, RL CEs still being asked at ridonkulous prices.

My RL CE24 quickly went from "I'll give it a shot and if I don't like it I'll flip it" to "they'll have to pry this from my cold dead hands."

If you ever find one for a not crazy price I'd definitely recommend getting one. It was a steal for what they sold for when bought new from a dealer though.

If you ever find one for a not crazy price I'd definitely recommend getting one. It was a steal for what they sold for when bought new from a dealer though.
Word. I got mine and still had money for a MannMade bridge!

Aside from the fret sprout, it's almost perfect.

I was goingto start another thread similar to this but more towards core models. I have the following:'13 artist package cu24, '89 CE24 & 3 305's. The cu is by far the most expensive. CE24 least expensive. I have playing mostly the 305's but last weekend l pulled out the 24"s just because I have not played in months. Can't believe it but the ce is back to being my main guitar again! Totally blew me away. Am I crazy? I don't think so. It just shows the price should be the last thing to worry about when buying.

Today I got to A/B them......

I seem to be the only one not to understand this. Do you mean compare?

If you now no longer want a CE, that's fine.
I owned & used one electric guitar for over 20 years. I didnt need another. I can only play one at a time anyway.
Now I have several. Not because I need them. Its because I want them.

So if you want another guitar, go for it. Or if what you have ticks all the boxes, stick with what you've got.

Today I got to A/B them......

I seem to be the only one not to understand this. Do you mean compare?
Yes, that is what that means. Compare A to B.

And I grok where the OP is coming from: the SEs are fine instruments, and if the OP is simply looking for a PRS that is meant to complement his Strat, then the SE 24 (not sure if a Standard 24 or a CU 24) would indeed be a fine choice. The CEs are good guitars, but the bolt-on nature may cause them to play/feel closer to a strat than the set-neck of the SE 24.

Sorry, what does RL mean in reference to a CE? Are those the ones with mahogany bodies instead of alder? Wouldn't mind having one of those. My only CE is a '97 with Dragon1s. I agree it feels more Stratty than the SEs, although I also have only one of those so my sample size is limited.

Sorry, what does RL mean in reference to a CE? Are those the ones with mahogany bodies instead of alder? Wouldn't mind having one of those. My only CE is a '97 with Dragon1s. I agree it feels more Stratty than the SEs, although I also have only one of those so my sample size is limited.

RL is an abbreviation for the reclaimed CE24 run that PRS did last year. Also just to piggy back off some other points brought up here, since I've started buying/playing PRS guitars last year I've realized that no matter the price point you're going to get an excellent guitar.

As much as I love my 10 top custom 24, both of my CE24's and my Vela all feel like they're built to the same quality standards regardless of the price difference. I think that's an amazing thing that they are able to keep quality consistent from a 1k guitar to a 4k+ guitar and is a big reason I've become such a fan so quickly.

I have a 97 with dragon 1s. Your sample size is limited to the best guitar ever!!!

Even though the OP was talking about being happy with the SE over the CE, it’s making an argument for me to get a CE. I want to replace my old Strat that I don’t play with something that I will. My DGT doesn’t sound or feel “Strat-y” but if the CE does a bit, that sounds like a good fit.

Back