Welcome to the Big Ten, Maryland!

László

Too Many Notes
I dunno if this is too far off the guitar related topics that usually come up, but I'm excited that Maryland is joining the Big Ten.

It's not just about sports; as a Michigan alum I know that the B1G's council among the institutions for sharing research (the CIC) is a very, very big deal for the schools involved.

In any event, for me it's another reason to celebrate "Made in Maryland." Welcome!

I just hope they use this as an excuse to ditch the Leaders/Legends division names.
"The Game" this week my friend...what are your honest feelings on the outcome?
My guess, tOSU 24 Meechigan 13 My Buckeyes set the stage for a run at the NC next year......

I just hope they use this as an excuse to ditch the Leaders/Legends division names.
"The Game" this week my friend...what are your honest feelings on the outcome?
My guess, tOSU 24 Meechigan 13 My Buckeyes set the stage for a run at the NC next year......

Oh man, I am SO with you on those freakin' names. What were they thinking?

Yeah The Game...here are my honest thoughts. I love what Braxton Miller is doing for OSU, and on a good day the Bucks' offense is lightning in a bottle. For the past three weeks, the Michigan offense has been on track with Gardner, who has been very sharp, at the helm. Last week with Denard taking a utility role, they looked very good.

As for defense, I think Michigan might be better, but based on what I've seen, it's certainly equal to OSU's D, and has done better with common opponents. Mattison worked at Florida with Urban, so maybe there's an experience advantage there?

Looking at the outcome of games against common opponents, there are a lot of similarities. The exception is Nebraska, which hung 38 on OSU but got absolutely clobbered by the OSU offense. Nebraska scored 23 on Michigan when it could manage literally zero offense after Denard was injured (this was before they returned Gardner to QB from wide receiver). So if with no offense M could hold Nebraska to 23, that's not too bad a performance. The question is, how good is the OSU offense?

2 of Michigan's 3 losses are to #1 Notre Dame in a game that was much closer than it appears, and to #2 Alabama in a blowout. I think that OSU would have been equally blown out by Alabama, they are simply on another level, and I think that OSU would have played a close game against ND. I think ND gets absolutely crushed by Alabama in the NC game if they play them.

Anyway, based on what I've seen from both teams, it'll be a close game, I think a field goal will tip it Michigan's way. M 31, OSU 28. ;)

As for that NC run...that's a lot of chicken counting.... You've seen the rankings for the last few Michigan recruiting classes, right? And you know The Game next year is in Ann Arbor where my Wolverines haven't lost in 2 years?

Final thought: After the 2006 1-2 matchup, a 3 point game, as a Big Ten fan, I rooted hard for OSU to win the NC game. I was really disappointed when Florida crushed them. I do think that it's going to take a few years for cycle of B1G team strength to come around and match the SEC. I don't see either OSU or Michigan at near that level yet.

Think about what an Alabama or LSU would have done to one of the teams that played OSU close, like Purdue or Michigan State this year. When I saw what Alabama did to Michigan that first game, I said, "Oh...I get it now." It was like watching a high school team play a pro team. The difference was that dramatic. That kind of difference doesn't exist between OSU and Michigan on either side of the ball.

Last edited:
You make some very valid points. I give my Bucks the edge this week, simply because it in "The Shoe". Gardner has never faced the atmosphere he will this Saturday. UM DB's are very good, I think tOSU's running game will be the difference.
I don't put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings,( see this year's USC team). OSU's schedule next year is favorable for a shot at a NC.
The Bama-UM game was a poor indicator IMO, I think playing a monster game like the that right out of the gate is crazy.
I think the Ohio State D-line will have to play like they did last week against Wisky. This is our bowl game, John Simon will be unstoppable this week.
Notre Dame is" smoke and mirrors" this season, easily could have 4 losses, I think USC, even without Barkley, beats them this week. This is a season without a clear cut #1.
Also, as a Buckeye fan, I have to say the Toussaint injury was horrible.

You make some very valid points. I give my Bucks the edge this week, simply because it in "The Shoe". Gardner has never faced the atmosphere he will this Saturday. UM DB's are very good, I think tOSU's running game will be the difference.
I don't put a lot of stock in recruiting rankings,( see this year's USC team). OSU's schedule next year is favorable for a shot at a NC.
The Bama-UM game was a poor indicator IMO, I think playing a monster game like the that right out of the gate is crazy.
I think the Ohio State D-line will have to play like they did last week against Wisky. This is our bowl game, John Simon will be unstoppable this week.
Notre Dame is" smoke and mirrors" this season, easily could have 4 losses, I think USC, even without Barkley, beats them this week. This is a season without a clear cut #1.
Also, as a Buckeye fan, I have to say the Toussaint injury was horrible.

You know, that was a really bad injury, and I'll agree that the edge should go to OSU in the Shoe. I guess I'm wishfully thinking that it'll be close enough at the end for a field goal type win.

In fact, I'd say that without Toussaint M is going to have some trouble in the run game unless Denard can break a couple of long runs, as he did last year.

But you know what's important? Despite all the BS that surrounds the rivalry, these are two great programs, two great schools, that have a shared history. That's a wonderful thing. Back in the mid 90s, I was friends with Jim Hermann, the Michigan D coordinator. He asked me to bring my then 10 year old son up to the campus to visit Schembechler Hall. And as we looked around at all the history and the trophies, we talked about the Big Ten, the history, and the common ground that binds these institutions. Sure, there's a rivalry, but at least on the Michigan side, there's also a ton of respect for OSU and the other B1G programs.

In fact, Jim said to me (I'm paraphrasing), "You think it's easy to win week after week in the Big Ten? You think beating even the team with the worst record in the league is an easy thing? It isn't. Everyone's working hard. The programs that consistently win do not have an easy time of it. It's very, very hard to win every week. Go to sleep one week, and you're beaten, by anyone."

So do I have respect for OSU's season? You bet. Heck, I have respect for what the kids at Indiana and Illinois are doing. It's not easy.

I was happy when PSU, Nebraska and now Maryland joined the league. I love seeing traditions grow! Good luck next week, and may the team that plays the best game win!

Last edited:
Back