Weight difference within a product line?

JDelage

All,

What explains the weight difference within a given product line? I'm looking at the Brazilian fretboard korina McCarty on Dave's Guitars site (here: http://davesguitar.com/?s=korina mccarty brazilian&show=products&view_all=true), and I am surprised to see the weight differences. I haven't done any formal distribution analysis, but the listed weights go from 6.0lbs to 8.6lbs. That strikes me as a *big* variance given the average weight, but I'm a newbie so I'm probably missing something.

Thanks,

JD

All,

What explains the weight difference within a given product line? I'm looking at the Brazilian fretboard korina McCarty on Dave's Guitars site (here: http://davesguitar.com/?s=korina mccarty brazilian&show=products&view_all=true), and I am surprised to see the weight differences. I haven't done any formal distribution analysis, but the listed weights go from 6.0lbs to 8.6lbs. That strikes me as a *big* variance given the average weight, but I'm a newbie so I'm probably missing something.

Thanks,

JD

Wood density varies in all wood , from piece to piece . This is true in many naturally grown plants . PRS does a great job drying the wood , so that's not a big issue. wood of different densities makes for some really nice tonality differences...ENJOY !!!

There are little capsules containing helium in PRS guitars to keep them light because most PRS players are older doctors, dentists, and lawyers who can't stand up with a guitar strapped on for very long any more. The ones that have heavier wood get more capsules to keep them all the same weight.

But the capsules are made of glass, and sometimes one or two of these tiny capsules break in shipping, whereupon the helium leaks out of the guitar's output jack.

When that happens, of course, the guitar becomes a little heavier. If lots of the little capsules break, it becomes a lot heavier. Unfortunately, the existence of the capsules is denied by PRS, since they are reverse-engineered from alien space guitars, and they're not covered under warranty.

Some have speculated that Paul Smith is such an amazing luthier because he himself is an alien, but I mean, come on. He's not gray with big googly eyeballs...although he is thin....has long fingers....naahhhh.

So, maybe he was trained by aliens as a young man?

Anyway, I hope this information helps you in your understanding of PRS' fine luthiery.

PS - these are the same capsules that were inhaled by Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin to keep his voice high.

Back