Tremolo Spring Overtones

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
Doesn't happen on my other tremolo guitars, at least that I've noticed.

The DGT has five tremolo springs attached in the current setup.

Doesn't seem to come through the amplifier but if the amp is low enough or if the guitar isn't plugged in I hear a relatively loud sympathetic drone overtone in the pitch of B.

I can wrap a strand of yarn around the strings by the anchor plate or the block to deaden it so that it isn't as noticeable but I'm wondering what else I can do. Swap the spring order or take one out?

Thanks

I took a scrap of an old towel and kind of weaved it in between the springs. You could stuff it between the body and springs or backplate and springs too. I might avoid yard because it may not dampen enough and the springs stretching could eventually pull the yarn in the spring which would probably reduce the dampening effect, if any.

My custom 24 did this on the same note.

I’ve fixed this a number of ways...however my favorite cure for this is removing the trem spring plate entirely, getting fat off of drinking wine, and letting my shirted gut dampen them.

And now I have a good reason not to start my diet!
Does the color of wine effect the tone? ;)

Find some foam, cut into finger sized strips, use a chop-stick or equivalent to push the foam inside the springs. If you need more put foam behind the springs.

I don't often use the trem so I sometimes do the Eric Clapton trick of a wood block behind the trem and completely remove the springs and claw. You'll need to find a good spot for the ground wire, if your guitar has it soldered now to the claw.

Another solution is to take the springs out and coat them individually with a liquid rubber compound.

I’ve fixed this a number of ways...however my favorite cure for this is removing the trem spring plate entirely, getting fat off of drinking wine, and letting my shirted gut dampen them.

I did the same thing, with a couple of minor tweaks. Bourbon, gin and scotch instead of wine. I go shirtless because I enjoy getting a little belly hair stuck in the strings, and yanking it out. A little pain is good for everyone.

I cut up the patch chord that comes with SE’s into pieces and stuff them through the springs and it works perfectly and I feel like it’s what the patch chord was actually made for

I figure weird noises and overtones are part of the charm of a trem-equipped guitar. :)

But a lot of players who aren’t like me just slip some rubber tubing over the trem springs to dampen the vibration. The movement of the springs will eventually cause problems with fabrics and most foams due to friction.

I figure weird noises and overtones are part of the charm of a trem-equipped guitar. :)

But a lot of players who aren’t like me just slip some rubber tubing over the trem springs to dampen the vibration. The movement of the springs will eventually cause problems with fabrics and most foams due to friction.
If it was recording through in some fashion perhaps, but as you can only hear it as an acoustic resonance it is more irritating than inspiring. Not like the drone of the strings on that long distance behind the bridge with a 6120 w/ a Bigsby.

I did the same thing, with a couple of minor tweaks. Bourbon, gin and scotch instead of wine. I go shirtless because I enjoy getting a little belly hair stuck in the strings, and yanking it out. A little pain is good for everyone.

I just threw up in my mouth...................

If it was recording through in some fashion perhaps, but as you can only hear it as an acoustic resonance it is more irritating than inspiring. Not like the drone of the strings on that long distance behind the bridge with a 6120 w/ a Bigsby.

Hence, my rubber tubing suggestion. :)

Back