Tommy Emmanuel

IKnowALittle

For those who might be interested, PBS has a program tonite featuring an hour of Tommy's best concert videos. Basically, a compilation. Surprisingly, even though I respect the heck out of his talent and ability, I'm not the biggest fan, but I'm going to PVR it. I'm sure there will be some nuggets of goodness in there.

For those who might be interested, PBS has a program tonite featuring an hour of Tommy's best concert videos. Basically, a compilation. Surprisingly, even though I respect the heck out of his talent and ability, I'm not the biggest fan, but I'm going to PVR it. I'm sure there will be some nuggets of goodness in there.
I would have to agree with you. I think there will be more than just a few nuggets of greatness. I would be interested in what you think after you watch / record

What I love about Tommy Emmanuel is how freely he shares his craft. Must be a hundred videos on YouTube of him signing someone's guitar and then showing them a trick for playing a part from "Windy and Warm" or "Classical Gas" or whatever. I've never met him personally, but he just comes across so humble and grateful, you know?

I saw Tommy Emmanuel a couple of years ago, playing a co-headliner with Martin Taylor (who plays neither brand guitar!) (and was Stephane Grappelli's guitarist). He is extremely likable, and seems to just honestly really enjoy what he does and encourages everyone around him to enjoy it too.

I need to see him again.

Reactions: CVS
I love TE. Incredible skills with great showmanship and personality. His Beatles medley is spectacular - he really makes it sound like two independent guitars on "Lady Madonna".

Regarding Lee's comments about how he shares his craft, he also has a great sense of humor about it. He said someone had asked him how to play like he does. He said the key is the thumb. He said, while playing steady quarter notes with his thumb, "The thumb is the key. It's the anchor. It's what everything is built on, so if you want to play fingerstyle, start with the thumb and get it going so that you have that steady thump to build on. Then just move the rest of your fingers really fast."

Reminded me very much of the instructions here on how to play the flute...

Reactions: CVS
Tommy is definitely best appreciated live and in person. He tours a lot, so don't pass him up when he comes to your town. Just pure great playing and he's very engaging. He's the same off stage as he is on. He's just a guy who loves guitar living the dream.

For those of you who are interested - Tommy also has lessons for sale at Truefire.com (I am not affiliated;))

Tommy is brilliant, has been playing for years in Australia before he got a break overseas. Chet Atkins was a huge supporter and fan. He loves guitar and his fans. Very appreciative of the life the guitar has given him. His brother Phil is equally as gifted on guitar. A great rock singer in OZ commented when Tommy was playing with him..... " man if only you could sing you'd be a Super Star " haha.

Tommy and Redd Volkeart, two understated guitar maestro's

Tommy played on some of the Air Supply stuff in the early 80s.

He's on a massive 6 month European and US Tour now, he has a lot of respect out their among fans. :cool:

Back