The OX: Authorized Biography of John Entwistle

WeFixFlats

Respect The Clave
We've read Pete's and Roger's autobiographies, but this biography is the ultimate story telling of Entwistle's life and times, and just published(2020). I always find the early stories, before fame, of our British musical heroes fascinating: the schooling and families because of WW II and how Britain, as a people, suffered through it and how it affected everyone, down to the youngest child...The very early days of 'The Who' is the typical relentless gigging and traveling, brutal, hard with little pay to show for it. The author really digs deep and interviews everyone that John had contact...it's an amazing account of this legendary Bass Player. I got my copy from the local library, but, of course, it's for sale on Amazon too.

Highly recommended.

Good to hear. I bought this pretty much immediately - it was going to be my next book, but I got Christopher Moore's "Shakespeare For Squirrels" before I started it, so maybe next.

The early years in Daltrey's book were fascinating to me, and it drove home how lucky we've been in this country that we've never had to live through attacks like they did during the war. There are similar tales in the Monty Python bios, including Eric Idle's dad's story - he survived the war only to die in an accident on the way home. The gigging stories always seem like something of a romantic time for music - so many artists playing so much and breaking so much new ground. And if you were in the right place, you could see these people every week, not once a year. Granted, they weren't the legends they would become, but still.

I've read Dougal Butler's book about Moon, and I have another to read, along with the autobios and a few other Who books. But I'm anxious to read this one.

(By the way, if you like farce, the Moore book is highly recommended, as are all his works. I love the guy.)

Sweet! I read Daltrey's book last summer, and really enjoyed it. I finally started Pete's a week, or so ago. More than half way through it. I also like it very much.

Sweet! I read Daltrey's book last summer, and really enjoyed it. I finally started Pete's a week, or so ago. More than half way through it. I also like it very much.

Then this one will be interesting, since there are more than a few quotes in this book from both Pete's and Roger's autobiographies.

Back