Talk me out of routing my 305 for bridge humbucker

If it was me ( and it could be ) I would put the 513 pickup the the bridge position that way you still have all the goodness of the 305 bridge pickup and something more when you need it.
A Super Strat version of the 305 would be killer and a don't believe it would effect the value it might even increase it if done well.
What I would do is basically add a Blower switch ( Push/Push Pot ) that adds the extra coil to ANY position of the guitar.

But where do I buy a 513 pickup?

Hit Tosca up, he might have a 305 single coil left over from his Brent Mason PTC conversion. You could just wire it in series with your existing single coil...

I've got 3 of them in my drawer but I have plans for them.

Yes I also love maple necks and yes, got it at Deluxe.

One more 305 (or a 513) pickup would actually be pretty cool.

I have a question abot the PRS 513. I've searched the net but haven't found any wiring scematic for that one. How is it wired? Does it use 500k pot in humbucker mode and 250k in single? Does it use a resistor with the 500k pot so it becomes a 250k? I think it does coil split for single coil sound and coil tap for the low output humbucker mode. Is that right or is it something else going on? Is there a 513 thread that I've missed?

Also does anyone in sweden know where I can try out a 513?

We don't know what color your guitar is, but in addition to routing a larger hole for the humbucker, you would need to plug the edges of the original 305 hole and then paint them to match the top and buff it out to blend the paint together. The 305 pickups are wider than the humbucker mounting ring.

See: The Raven, step one. Skitchy gets to work by plugging the corners of the treble pup
(wish the pics still worked)

this is the issue

I bought My DGT at Deluxe too.Great PRS dealer in sweden.Im from norrort so if you want to check out a Demeter fatcontrol give me a note. :rock::rock::rock:

i say leave it be and get a studio model!!!!!! I love my studio. covered 57/08 bridge with a coil-tap. This is a stock setup. and the Narrowfields respond to volume roll off just like the 305. But they are not single coil pickups. It would be a nice compliment to the 305 you have.-- And yes this is a pic from last year's experience!!!!

01196756-D23A-4D1A-BFBE-933445CE5454_zps66vy9kpm.jpg

KILLER guitar! Man, if that had a maple fingerboard, it would be perfect for me! I have an NF3 with maple and it's the nicest neck I've ever played!

That said, I have gotten very attached to an HSS setup. As versatile as all of my PRS guitars are, I wish there was a HSS setup with the Pattern Regular neck/maple board. The 305 pickups in the neck and middle, 57/08 or 59/09 in the bridge, with tap. That would be a "must have" for me. I've drooled over the Studio models for a few years now, but now that I have the NF3 I don't need one. I've been looking for 305's, but boy if they came out with what I just described, I'd dump 2-3 other guitars and buy one immediately.

So, OP, I'd probably consider dropping in a stack SC size pickup first, rather than hacking away. Seems to be a lot of opinions that go the other way. If I knew it would turn out like that Raven, I would say go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much talk in this thread and not enough sawdust.

You know what you want and you know how to do it, and if it were me it'd be done already.

Hit Tosca up, he might have a 305 single coil left over from his Brent Mason PTC conversion. You could just wire it in series with your existing single coil...

Hmmmm....let's dump out my box of spare PRS parts onto the guitar bench....

I believe there IS a loney 305 in there.....

So now I've messured properly with the pickup rings provided by Seymour Duncan when you buy a trembucker. The 305 pickup is 88mm and the route for it is a about 1mm bigger. The ring is 90.5mm so it will just cover the rout :) The rout is a little bit beveled on the edge (due to laquer I guess?) and it might be just a tad of that sticking out. I do not think you will ever notice it.

This pickup ring is almost exactly the same material as the 305 pickups (matte plack plastic) so it would be perfect for this project. I'm gonne buy a matte black plastic humbucker cover to keep the (active pickup) look of the guitar and try some of the pickups I have laying around.

So this project is on it's way dudes. I don't have the time to do it just right now but before new year it should be all set up. I'll start a new thread on Modified Monday so you can se the progress and result.

Wish me luck ;)

Back