Talk me out of routing my 305 for bridge humbucker

Macbeth

So I've had my 305 for a few month now and I love it! Allmost all of my other guitars (Fender Strats, Teles, Gibson Les Pauls and Music Man Axis) are now sold due to this beuty :) I don't think I'll ever go there again...

I just miss the Humbucker in the bridge from my HSS strats. The stock pickups are really good, and I haven't heard a guitar before that sound so sweet when you roll of yhe volume knob. I really need the two single coils in neck and middle possition but I need a little more beef for the rock stuff. I don't know if I've thought this thru but I'm about to put the dremmel in the guitar and rout it for a full size humbucker.

Am I nuts???

I could just put a little 59 in there with some modification but it doesn't really sound as the real deal.

I could go for the 513 but I think I wouldn't be happy with the stock bridge pickup (I'm a pickup freak)

None of the other PRS models have the 5-way switch in the "right" stratty position so that counts them out.

I play plexi style heads with only one channel and a overdrive pedal and need the guitar to be able to do it all by itself, from clean with break up to full dist (plexi dist that is).

So please, talk me out of this... Or in if you like ;)

Maybe some kind of midrange boost. EMG sells little booster circuits. I'm sure there are others out there too.

Clapton sig Strats have a midrange boost.

I've gotten sufficient sounds out of some s/s/s type guitars by combining bridge and middle pickups, then dialing out some treble with a pot. Works for me, but the way I set my amp makes it work too.

Last edited:
I coul'd try that! But there are also the hum with single coils that are sort of annoing... I play live for a living and a lot of the stages we play are a bit noisy and the midrange boost would just make it even more sensitive...

Eru alldeles tokig pöjk!Keep the guitar as it is,what it is.You risk chipping finish and value goes down.If you want beef check out Demeter fat control.Also try a Studio first.

Talk you OUT if it? You're talking to the wrong dudes, dude! Have you seen Han's "The Raven"???

IMG_0003_zpsb672e0a4.jpg

Do it. Do it. Do it.

i say leave it be and get a studio model!!!!!! I love my studio. covered 57/08 bridge with a coil-tap. This is a stock setup. and the Narrowfields respond to volume roll off just like the 305. But they are not single coil pickups. It would be a nice compliment to the 305 you have.-- And yes this is a pic from last year's experience!!!!

01196756-D23A-4D1A-BFBE-933445CE5454_zps66vy9kpm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments dudes!

Rusty Chos - The position 2 is a sound that I use a lot so I need that to. But it is nothing like a full bridge humbucker.

Wardog - Well, the studio is 25" scale and I want 25.5". It also has the 5-way switch in the "wrong" place as said before.

Justmund - That guitar "The Raven" looks sweet :)

So far it looks like I'm going for it...

Last edited:
I coul'd try that! But there are also the hum with single coils that are sort of annoing... I play live for a living and a lot of the stages we play are a bit noisy and the midrange boost would just make it even more sensitive...

Yes, that's why when I combine bridge and middle on some s/s/s type guitars, they humbuck (if that's how they're wired).

I actually came to prefer that sound over a standard bridge humbucker, and it still leaves the s/s/s sounds available.

But of course the amp setting becomes a factor.

Lately I'm willing to live with my Cu22 as-is and see if it's crispy enough (seems to be so far). I'm coming from a definitely single coil guy past.

Two things in life I can't stand: change, and the way things are.

Edit:
OK, just saw the comment about the #2switch position sound vs full humbucker, and I get that.
Good luck with your tone quest. I'd like to hear about how it goes.

Last edited:
I should have made a disclaimer that as long as you're confident! I've dremeled a recess for a new pickup before and I did get a bit of paint chip. It's under a pick guard so it doesn't matter. If I was to do it again I'd use an exacto-knife to score the cutout first to reduce the possibility of chipping. See here for my mods:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?10450-The-Siggy-Mira-Special-Wanda

The Raven is a special guitar hey? Here's Hans' build thread but it looks like some of the pics are missing:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthread.php?3035-The-Raven

I do believe it involved filling/paint as a standard pickup ring isn't wide enough to cover a 305 slot?

I do believe it involved filling/paint as a standard pickup ring isn't wide enough to cover a 305 slot?

Yeah I was thinking of that aswell. But since the pickup is angled it might just cover it, I need to do some mesurements to be sure though...

Eru alldeles tokig pöjk!Keep the guitar as it is,what it is.You risk chipping finish and value goes down.If you want beef check out Demeter fat control.Also try a Studio first.

Åh nej, inte en pedal till kommer min basist att säga då ;)

Okay.
1) There are a gadjazillion guitars with bridge humbuckers. There are only pendrillion guitars with single coils. Embrace the comparative rarity.
2) There are mid-boost and eq pedals, and even ones to root out 60 cycle hum. Or just roll off the tone control and let 'er rip.
3) Most importantly, you said you sold your other guitars, but forums are here to help enable buying more. So pick up something like wardog's awesome guitar there and laugh maniacally at the choice. ("The Raven" looks cool, too, but I have an unnatural fear of Floyd Rose type systems)

Anyway, if you want to swap, will something like a hot rails type pickup fit without routing?

So I've had my 305 for a few month now and I love it! Allmost all of my other guitars (Fender Strats, Teles, Gibson Les Pauls and Music Man Axis) are now sold due to this beuty :) I don't think I'll ever go there again...

I just miss the Humbucker in the bridge from my HSS strats. The stock pickups are really good, and I haven't heard a guitar before that sound so sweet when you roll of yhe volume knob. I really need the two single coils in neck and middle possition but I need a little more beef for the rock stuff. I don't know if I've thought this thru but I'm about to put the dremmel in the guitar and rout it for a full size humbucker.

Am I nuts???

I could just put a little 59 in there with some modification but it doesn't really sound as the real deal.

I could go for the 513 but I think I wouldn't be happy with the stock bridge pickup (I'm a pickup freak)

None of the other PRS models have the 5-way switch in the "right" stratty position so that counts them out.

I play plexi style heads with only one channel and a overdrive pedal and need the guitar to be able to do it all by itself, from clean with break up to full dist (plexi dist that is).

Don't do it because you'll jack it up.

Sorry guys but Duncan hotrails or any other of the single coil sized humbuckers just don't do it for me.

I know the wise thing is to keep it stock and buy another guitar for the humbucker sounds. But I'm not a wise guy since I'm allready thinking about it am I?

I had private stock make me a '407'. Works very well as a configuration for me.

MYM407-11.jpg

I would not rout the 305 as the level of expertise required to pull that off and the cost involved would be cost prohibitive. Unless you go the full Hans route and get top tier talent doing the work, You will end up spending $$$ while devaluing the guitar...all the while not being sure if you will like the end result. I know we like to tinker, but just be sure you know the cost up front.

I would look into Buying a PRS Brent Mason. You'll will get the position 2 and 4 sounds and the hot bridge humbucker when you want it.

Last edited:
Back