Sweet switch equiv with tone control?

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
Disclaimer: I’m not an electrical engineer, I just play one on TV.

I’m a fan of the magical Sweet Switch. Always have been, but I’ve never owned a model with one. Goal: achieve that Sweet Switch magic on a non-Sweet Switch equipped guitar.

yes, I’ve studied the schematics (schemagics, as my real engineer friends say) and realize were talking about a some RC circuit + inductance voodoo stuff here, so without paying beau coup $$ for an original, can a mod be made to a traditional tone circuit to achieve the same result?

One of my concepts was to throw a variable capacitor and a small choke on the tone pot and start tweaking. Here’s a possible shortcut: the VTreb is one of my fav devices for a variable RC bolt on, so if I find the special inductance value, wouldn’t that get me to the goal?

Nerdy brothers and sisters, what do you think?

Talk to @Shawn@PRS or PTC - I have push-pull tone pots with the sweet switch on my PS. One side effect I didn’t think of - with the sweet engaged, the tone pot still works, so it’s the best of both worlds.

Disclaimer: I’m not sure I ever took the cavity control cover off, and if I did, it’s been awhile. Regardless, I never looked at the post to see if something was added or if the magic is all internal. Maybe I’ll take a look today as a way to procrastinate instead of actually playing.

Okay - so I opened up the cavity, and there are two things attached to the tone pot. One looks like a cap or resistor - I'm not up on my electronics parts at the moment - and the other is a black box kind of thing. Literally - it looks like a fairly tiny black box (pretty sure it's not a recorder for my playing crashes). I took a couple pics so I can post them later.

Back