Super Bowl Sunday AM (and afternoon -east coast) - What did you do?

CVS

Not so new member
Played all of my PRS guitars - Put on backing tracks and just had fun creating my own mediocre solos. What did you do?
PS - Now about ready to change out pick ups in my 2003 CU24, after listening to the tones of my more recently purchased PRS's yesterday. Any suggestions on what kind of pick ups to put in would be appreciated. I play primarily blues, blues rock, classic rock and some smooth jazz

The reason "about" is underlined is because I still feel there is something unique about the VB / HFS pick ups and no other guitar that I have comes close to the tones produced by these pick ups.

Smooth Jazz on a Cu24? How about Seth Lovers. I have them in my Bernie and they are great for blues and PAF tones.

Smooth Jazz on a Cu24? How about Seth Lovers. I have them in my Bernie and they are great for blues and PAF tones.
Will consider & thanks for the input - To be honest I have other guitars that will take care of the smooth jazz solos I like. These pick ups may work for classic rock / blues rock. Would still like to hear from others abut which PRS pick ups might work - I was thinking along the lines of 57 - 08's , but not sure by any means.

Put new strings on my Starla, jammed a while. Made hot wings. Watched the Falcons choke. :eek:

Will consider & thanks for the input - To be honest I have other guitars that will take care of the smooth jazz solos I like. These pick ups may work for classic rock / blues rock. Would still like to hear from others abut which PRS pick ups might work - I was thinking along the lines of 57 - 08's , but not sure by any means.
In that case, 57/08's will sound great, but 59/09's will have more punch. Do you want more Bonamassa or more AC/DC?

Lots of choices, pick up wise. I think the 57/08 would serve you well. If you're going outside the PRS pick up family, David Allen P-51, Throbak (pricey though), BK Mules, or BK Abraxas would be some to consider.

Reactions: CVS
In that case, 57/08's will sound great, but 59/09's will have more punch. Do you want more Bonamassa or more AC/DC?
Joe Bonamassa is much more my style than AC DC. To be honest, I am a product of the early 70's - Joe Walsh, Doobie Brothers, Johnny Winter etc. etc.

My kids stayed over at their grandmother's so my wife and I had a nice quiet morning, followed by going to the gym where I worked out hard enough to make myself queasy, then actually vomited in a trash can because I caught a whiff of these two guys who weren't wearing deodorant. They might have been from India... I'm not good at figuring that stuff out, but it was a seriously powerful odor. Then I went to the grocery store, went home and made lunch, recorded two songs worth of guitars on our new record. Made chipotle lime wings and three small pizzas including my famous enchilada pizza.

Anyway, it's a shame PRS doesn't post which alnico they use in their pickups. I would say you need a set of Alnico 2 lower wind with 42 gauge wire humbuckers.

Reactions: CVS
My kids stayed over at their grandmother's so my wife and I had a nice quiet morning, followed by going to the gym where I worked out hard enough to make myself queasy, then actually vomited in a trash can because I caught a whiff of these two guys who weren't wearing deodorant. They might have been from India... I'm not good at figuring that stuff out, but it was a seriously powerful odor. Then I went to the grocery store, went home and made lunch, recorded two songs worth of guitars on our new record. Made chipotle lime wings and three small pizzas including my famous enchilada pizza.

Anyway, it's a shame PRS doesn't post which alnico they use in their pickups. I would say you need a set of Alnico 2 lower wind with 42 gauge wire humbuckers.

You were one busy guy! I should add that I also did a 30 mile bike ride in the AM, so that I could ingest extra calories later in the day.:D

I would recommend putting a Benedetto B6 in the neck position, and some sort of complimentary pickup in the bridge position. It's actually not just for jazz, but will definitely fill that need. Put it through a boost and a distortion and you'll have some great dirty tones with grunt.

Main thing I did on Sunday was participate in the first Scandinavian music jam at a local coffee shop. Ended up over 20 players showed up. Only 2 guitars. A great time. Wife and I got home from that just in time to settle in to watch the game.

As to pickups, I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan 59. Excellent in either the neck or bridge position. Just a good basic PAF sound. Nothing fancy, but it works.

...As to pickups, I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan 59. Excellent in either the neck or bridge position. Just a good basic PAF sound. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I agree. My favorite non-PRS pickup set. I had them in my 88 CE24 and a friend I have who is a die hard Les Paul guy didn't think much of my guitar until I took it over to his place one night. He plugged it into his amp and started playing. About 45 minutes later he looked up from ripping. "This guitar is sick! What pickups are in it?"

"SD 59's"

He went back to playing until I pulled it out if his hands so I could go home. He's got dibs if I ever sell, which I told him wouldn't be any time soon.

Back