Strange Sequence Numbers

brado

Have a low sequence number of a limited edition PRS? Think it might be worth more because it's one of the first ones? That may not be the case, at least when it comes to the Rosewood Limited series. I was admiring Han's 1997 #71 Rosewood when I looked at his serial number and realized my #72 was made before his. Upon looking at Rosewood Limiteds for sale, I found,#78 SN 25924 was assembled 5/28/96, #9 SN 26967 was assembled 7/10/96,#45 was made in 1997 etc... Very strange!

The date is not "when it was made", it is when it was finished. When things have a lot of hand built operations, they can sit for various reasons. So guitars pass in front of them before they get their turn back in the hands of the craftsmen (and women). This puts them out of sequence.

Pretty much have to agree with your assessment. My point being, If someone says" I have Rosewood Limited #2", The common thought would be This is one of the first built, when it may actually be one of the last. The only way to tell is to compare serial numbers.

Interesting. But I didn't realize it mattered which number you had of a limited run series.

Kevin

Interesting. But I didn't realize it mattered which number you had of a limited run series.

Kevin
There are those that put added value to the earliest examples of a series.

Interesting. And odd. Not sure why I would care if my guitar was built a day or 2 before another in a limited series.

Kevin

Pretty much have to agree with your assessment. My point being, If someone says" I have Rosewood Limited #2", The common thought would be This is one of the first built, when it may actually be one of the last. The only way to tell is to compare serial numbers.

Even then I don't know how much it matters. I had the very first 1812 (1 of 100) and it didn't seem to be any big deal. They didn't even number these. I only knew because the retailor made a big deal of saying it was the first off the line.

Probably true. And one of a myriad of things I don't understand at all about the collector mindset.

"Oh yeah, this is the very first one they made of this run."

"So...uhmm...special. Does that make it, you know, a better guitar?"

"Not exactly."

"Oh."

Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.

Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?

Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!

Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.

Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.

Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?

Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

Last edited:
Probably true. And one of a myriad of things I don't understand at all about the collector mindset.

"Oh yeah, this is the very first one they made of this run."

"So...uhmm...special. Does that make it, you know, a better guitar?"

"Not exactly."

"Oh."

Nigel Tufnel: Look... still has the old tag on, never even played it.

Marty DiBergi: [points his finger] You've never played...?

Nigel Tufnel: Don't touch it!

Marty DiBergi: We'll I wasn't going to touch it, I was just pointing at it.

Nigel Tufnel: Well... don't point! It can't be played.

Marty DiBergi: Don't point, okay. Can I look at it?

Nigel Tufnel: No. no. That's it, you've seen enough of that one.

Story of my life:
David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...
Nigel Tufnel: Clever.
David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

Back