Spotted some birds at that BNL show last night

MikeD

Went to see Barenaked Ladies last night.

Kevin Hearn broke out a couple of PRSi. He only used 3 different guitars and 2 were PRS.

He's originally the keyboard player but picks up the guitar slack from when Steven Page left the band while still covering the keys. He's a very talented musician.

Both had Bigsby's.

In the blue picture they're playing "Who can it be now" with Colin Hay and he's playing a very nice HBII.

Sorry for the crummy pics. They're taken with a phone and I'm not a young kid that knows how use a phone like I came out of the womb with it.

aMA8jD3l.jpg

u45AETNl.jpg

Awesome! How were they? Im thinking of catching a show or two as I love them but I'm nervous about the lack of Steven.....a little.... only a little!

Man I LOVED that band...wife and I saw them on the Stunt and Maroon tours ('97/98). Ed played a Hollowbody back then on a few tunes. Steven Page, well, to us - he was the band - his amazing voice and twisted lyrics. When he departed, the band lost it's artistic soul, imho. I've watched several videos of the past few tours and Ed just can't carry those Page tunes.

Awesome! How were they? Im thinking of catching a show or two as I love them but I'm nervous about the lack of Steven.....a little.... only a little!

They were good. These guys definitely know how to entertain an audience.

That said, there was something missing from the show. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed.

Man I LOVED that band...wife and I saw them on the Stunt and Maroon tours ('97/98). Ed played a Hollowbody back then on a few tunes. Steven Page, well, to us - he was the band - his amazing voice and twisted lyrics. When he departed, the band lost it's artistic soul, imho. I've watched several videos of the past few tours and Ed just can't carry those Page tunes.

For my wife and I, they are 'our' band. I'm from Detroit and Detroit has always been a stronghold for BNL. Maybe it's because we're so close to Canada...?

I've been going to their shows for close to 25 years. If they played, we went. Both nights if they played multiple shows. I lost count at 12 or 13 of how many shows I've seen. Certainly over 20 by now.

I don't know if I'd say that Steven was the band but maybe that the chemistry between Ed and Steven was at the core of the band. Kevin has stepped up to try and fill that void but it's just not the same.

I like Ed for Ed songs but you're right about him not being able to carry the Page tunes. They did Brian Wilson (of course) and it was good but it wasn't Steven good...if that makes any sense.

They're certainly a different band without Steven.

Back