So I have a bad tuner on my NUGD 594 Thinline...

Russ73

I received a 594 thinline from GC used site in great condition last week...noticed that the low E keeps going out of tune so I replaced it leaving lots of string as per slippage maybe on the post but I realized tonite it's the actual tuner itself....do I replace and go through the trouble or return the guitar and look for another someday?? I really don't have the interest in dealing with this as the guitar...even used...after tax and shipping was just an average deal....what your input PRS Forum!! Thx

H'mmmm No expert opinion here, and the "previously owned " thing leaves room for variance ...

But one of the things I first noted about the non-locking vintage tuners ... was the MINIMAL amount of string wrapped around the tuner post. Much like it was a locker...

I restrung it with 8 gauge (to reduce string tension) But to try to duplicate the factory clean job, I watched the "Skitchy" video here on the PRS site on how to tune.. It involves wrapping the string at the post, and locking it there

I'm a terrible re-stringer, but I got it to work. BUT ... These tuners , have a very positive feel about them. No "slack" like I have felt in other tuners, and even PRS SE Lockers.

See if your tuner is "taught". That is turns with a "precision" feel. That is no slack movement in it.. You turn the tuner, the string machine rotates ,and string pitch changes.

Because of this precise feel in this machine, I have had no desire to change them for anybodies locker. Even Pflase III ;)

If you have slack in your tuner, then it probably has been damaged ... It should not slip

But get rid of these excess winds at the post to see whats going on ...

I just played it for 20 min and it was Ok...maybe it is slippage on the post?? Either way I decided im keeping it the guitar is just too good....

I just played it for 20 min and it was Ok...maybe it is slippage on the post?? Either way I decided im keeping it the guitar is just too good....

I dig the heck outta mine... Probably my favorite PRS ... Uh oh ... Don't let my Hollowbody hear that !!! :)

Back