Snapped "B" strings

CVS

Not so new member
I have been playing guitar for over 45+ years (yes, I am old). In the course of 2 weeks , I have broken 2 B strings on 2 different PRS guitars (NF3 & 594) while (of all things) strumming some pretty mundane chords fairly lightly.

What gives? Has this happened to anyone else? Anything that you can do to reduce the risk of this happening? I should add that I play with a fairly clean sound and prior to what just happened, I had not broken a string in over 10+ years (and I do a fair amount of string bending when I solo)

Comments appreciated.

Last edited:
With all smartassery aside (give me credit for my gargantuan restraint), maybe you got a bad lot of strings? Where did they break? Same place on both breaks?

Check the saddles. They may be worn and a bit sharp or slotted. If they look OK, you might try nut sauce on the saddles.

What gauge strings?

Check the saddles. They may be worn and a bit sharp or slotted. If they look OK, you might try nut sauce on the saddles.

What gauge strings?
.13 B string
With all smartassery aside (give me credit for my gargantuan restraint), maybe you got a bad lot of strings? Where did they break? Same place on both breaks?
You can go to the head of the class given your restraint! To be honest, I can't remember where the 1st one broke (I never expected it to happen again, so I did not pay much attention and I was at a jam session & just wanted to a get a new string on ASAP). The second one broke up by the tuning peg. The second one was on my new 594. Strings put on at the factory

Back