Silver Sky in E flat?

Wolfhound

Hello All - hope everybody is doing well. I recently got a Silver Sky and am enjoying it very much - it feels really great to play and I seem to get on well with the radius and frets, barre chords a little more manageable even than my 9.5s and much, much better than 12 inch radius. Anyway, I was just wondering whether anybody has tried their Silver Sky in E flat tuning? It’s a relatively popular thing to do with Strats and was interested to hear your take on whether it also suits the Silver Sky. I’m a warm tone person and really do not like trebly tones - my treble and bass are usually set opposite of what many seem to use! Treble around 10 o’clock and bass around 2 o’clock. Thanks and take care.

I’ve switched back and forth. Definitely a bit fatter tuned down a half step while retaining its core tone, you won’t have any problems once you tweak the truss rod and trem claw. I never find it has too much treble in standard tuning though, even the bridge PU, unless you dime the volume and tone with an already bright amp.

Thanks for the comments - appreciated. I still need to fully get accustomed to the Silver Sky and will probably try Eb tuning and maybe even 10.5-48 strings when it’s time to restring. I just lowered the pickups by half a turn and I felt that this also made a tangible difference to me. Anyway, it’s all good and I am really happy I picked up a Silver Sky.

I read an interesting interview with famous swedish metal producer Fredrik Nordström.He had this theory that if you played in standard tuning you use 9s and E flat 10s etc etc.Many famous guitarplayers like Hendrix,Van Halen,Ty Tabor and Yngwie used and use 8s and 9s in E flat.Just experiment and listen to what works for you.

I was underwhelmed with Eb given the strenuous advocates. I’m super happy in standard tuning with 9.5s. This biggest reason I’ve seen is making it easier to bend, but I’ve never had a problem with that.

Try all ways. see what you like.

I keep at least one electric tuned down, but only because of how many songs there are in Eb/drop Db. I’m likely to replace the bridge pickup in that guitar to get some brightness back. The latest tuning for my SS has been DADGAD so I can play Kashmir. Temporary, but I’m certainly not against altered tuning.

Ah, that reminds me that I need to play Kashmir again!! Such a great tune but it does need a real commitment to a significant retuning!

I keep at least one electric tuned down, but only because of how many songs there are in Eb/drop Db. I’m likely to replace the bridge pickup in that guitar to get some brightness back. The latest tuning for my SS has been DADGAD so I can play Kashmir. Temporary, but I’m certainly not against altered tuning.

I tuned to Eb for a bit to try when I first got my SS and did like it for the feel so I changed to 9.5s for the feel of it.
I know plenty of folks that tune down ( mostly for older singers benefit )
I have also been playing around with Drop D and that's fun also

Back