SE ZM reviewed in Guitar Player

rugerpc

A♥ hoards guitars ♥A Soldier 25, DFZ
On page 100.

Like Lloyd recommends, don't look for it on the web, buy the magazine before they, and so they don't, stop publishing them.

I let my subscription go a few years back, just didn't need any more articles on Satriani, Vai or Bonamassa. Used to be a great magazine.

I let my subscription go a few years back, just didn't need any more articles on Satriani, Vai or Bonamassa. Used to be a great magazine.

Oh great! I just subscribed to it and I just read this. Hope I like it and it's not a waste of money.

I agree that it used to be better, but it's not quite that bad. I mean, it's not like Guitar World with its quarterly EVH cover! :flute:

They have shifted to having a slightly larger gear section than in the past, and they seem to be doing a larger number of short pieces.

For my money, Premier Guitar is the best US guitar magazine right now.

I subscribe to all three mags, and Premier Guitar is my favorite, and Guitar World is at the bottom of my faves.

I agree--Premier Guitar is the best US guitar mag out there right now. I've been reading Guitar Player since the first issue back in '67 (jeez, I'm getting old!), and while they've been better, they've also been worse--they do have to try to be all things to all players in order to maintain market share. Seems like the young guys complain because they're covering old farts, and the old guys complain because they're covering young punks. Still a good magazine, though. I remember back in the first year of publication, some old guy wrote in to complain that they ran an article on those no-playing long-haired rock 'n' roll punks, and that they should cover nothing but real guitar players like Segovia. The band that the article was written about? The Jefferson Airplane...
I also read Guitarist and Guitar & Bass from the UK--they're a little pricey over here in the US, but they're good reads too.

I don't mine covering the young punks as I remember Mike Varney reviewing the debut album by some unknowns called Def Leppard.
I just thought the columns by Tedesco, Howard Roberts, Jim Hall and the others were more interesting than the ones today.
But I think there was more going on with guitars on the playing side and less media covering it than these days.

Back