SE Hollowbody Piezo Electronics/Wiring Thread

If I may I have a question, how many of you use the piezo option when playing? Is it blended with the stock pickups or used solo or some combination of the two?
Is the Piezo an attractive enough feature to get?

If I may I have a question, how many of you use the piezo option when playing? Is it blended with the stock pickups or used solo or some combination of the two?
Is the Piezo an attractive enough feature to get?

So I haven't used my piezo much ... yet.

The truth is it's a gigging and jamming thing for me, and - thanks Coronavirus! - both of those things have been largely off the table of late. When I'm by myself, yeah, sometimes I use it through the looper, but I've been using jam tracks more than building loops. That being said, the ability to run each out of their own output or to blend them is really cool, and I'm looking forward to using that when I play with friends. I've experimented some with it and like both options.

Otherwise, when I'm home, if I want to play acoustic, I play my Breedlove.

I've experimented with it some blended with the mags through an electric amp, and that can be nice to add a little brightness, but personally I really like the 58/15s pickups in this guitar and don't feel the need for it very often. That may change when I'm out jamming more and want a little juice to help cut through the mix, we'll see.

The piezo acoustic tone is ... fine, I guess? It's always hard to judge amplified-acoustic sounds at bedroom volumes. Even with high-end stuff, the thing you like plugged in for a jam with a friend may NOT be the thing you like at stage volume. I haven't had the chance to really use it at stage volumes, so I can't tell you. In by apartment, it's not worse than my plugged-in Breedlove, although it can be hard to tell since at home volumes, I'm hearing a good amount of the acoustic directly from the Breedlove in addition to what's coming through the amp.

As much as I am very happy with the guitar I bought, it was the right choice for me, and I will absolutely use the piezo all the time when I'm out in the world, I don't think it's entirely clear that the piezo version is going to be worth it for everyone. For the extra $350, you get a few other extras (the abalone birds look a LOT nicer than the plastic ones on the non-piezo. The plastic birds tend to look cheap. I believe the binding on the non-piezo is plastic, on mine it's flamed wood) that make the guitar look nicer, but first and foremost the thing I love about this guitar is that it's a great ELECTRIC guitar, and you're getting that on the non-piezo version.

If an extra couple of hundred bucks aren't that big a deal to you, I'd say get the piezo and enjoy the better aesthetics and see how much you end up using the piezo. If they are a big deal, then it's a tougher call.

I'm just looking for PRS to put the abalone birds and the cool spalted binding ... on a Hollowbody II ;)

Here's hoping they remain in production, and remain available (Geopolitical forces don't make them unavailable ) until I have the cash to buy another. Hey even the Standard in Tobacco... is a real looker ...:cool:

Not to mention, they play great, and sound great with the standard 58/15/S pickups ...

Yeah, I bought mine for the color, maple binding, abalone, etc. I know guys like the piezo for gigging so only one guitar is needed for electric and acoustic, but it really needs an acoustic amp to shine. I don't use mine much.

And yes, you can play the piezo and mag pickups in any combination you want: piezo only, blended, and mag only.

I use the Piezo a lot. Either for the acoustic tones or adding it to the mags for a different high end structure. It's very versatile. The 58/15s pickups sound much better than in my S2 594, to me!

I play through a PA type of system, and the Piezo doesn't lose much tone, if any, using that method.

Is the volume pot a strait linear taper in the stock setup? Mine (
a lefty)) isn’t rolling off volume gradually line any other prs I have had. Barely does anything until I get down to about 2.

Seems like it’s a Log taper pot wired backwards. Or is it supposed to work like this?

Dealers says the volume pot is different than normal because it has to handle the piezo as well. Asked for values and if it was linear or log taper but I don’t think he knows.

They are all linear pots. Alpha for the Tone and Volume, and another import brand for the piezo pot. The volume and tone pots are wired as normal, the only difference is the tone is over the piezo PCB so access is limited. There is also no treble bleed capacitor. These guitars are made with PRS’s acoustics by a third party that isn’t doing the other SE electrics so differences in components can be expected.

Is the volume pot a strait linear taper in the stock setup? Mine (
a lefty)) isn’t rolling off volume gradually line any other prs I have had. Barely does anything until I get down to about 2.

Seems like it’s a Log taper pot wired backwards. Or is it supposed to work like this?

Dealers says the volume pot is different than normal because it has to handle the piezo as well. Asked for values and if it was linear or log taper but I don’t think he knows.

160032697_10226406847900712_1113104739140588458_n.jpg

160047820_10226406848140718_5505350632169125810_n.jpg

160313280_10226406848620730_6088735655700412244_n.jpg

Just bigger than 3/8”
160074483_10226406848860736_148448189266931714_n.jpg

Just under 3/8”
160100595_10226406849140743_1386281108745225677_n.jpg

B25K is a linear pot, apparently used sometimes for active pickups. Typical volume and tone pots are A250k or A500k (logarithmic.) So I won’t be able to just substitute a push-pull for the Piezo pot.
160193358_10226406849380749_272105920787666722_n.jpg

160172120_10226406849620755_7029527958548507032_n.jpg

This is my Dimarzio/CTS push-pull. There’s a PCB under the Piezo volume pot, so I’m checking to see if the push-pull will fit - it does, though it’s close. I would probably put a soft pad under the pot just in case there’s contact or vibration. Anyway I will move the tone pot to this location, use the push-pull to split both bridge and neck pups, and move the Piezo volume to where the tone control was.
160481710_10226406849860761_6546310285645262633_n.jpg

Above is a CTS made for DiMarzio, below is a CTS branded push pull. Both pots fit the guitar with no modification to the holes.
160194457_10226406850100767_6344441555802635265_n.jpg
Hi,

The photo links seem to be broken. Could you share the photos that you shared on the 2nd post?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some more related images:

I wanted to replace the piezo volume pot, but it was a bit unique. So I bought two CTS pots and combined them to make what I wanted: (a 25k short shaft knurled pot.) The resistance and taper is controlled by the wafer which is attached to the solder lugs, so the shafts can easily be swapped. Disassembling just requires unfolding the tabs at the top of the base. The resistance is controlled by the grease in the bottom. This can be changed, too. There are special greases made for this.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

To create a complete new wiring diagram and keep the wires hidden, I made a template of the F-holes, switch holes, and output locations:
attachment.php

Then I tried my best to mark where the clips were to secure the wires:
attachment.php

The bridge ground wire came off during the process. It wasn't secured very well. So I had to pull the bridge posts to correct it. I made this tool out of a bolt, washer, wingnut, and a piece of pvc pipe. I used a piece of light ply (balsa with hardwood veneer) as a cushion, with tape to protect the surface of the guitar. The bridge pin extracted cleanly with no damage to the guitar.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Back