SE EG HSS...Finally!

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
After about a year of on and off searching for a non-salvage condition HSS SE EG to go along with my others, I finally found a very respectable 2005 example in the 'burst finish I wanted:

2005%20PRS%20SE%20EG%20HSS_zpsebc0jimr.jpg

I had a "playdate" on Friday evening @ 6:30 - I wanted to use her, didn't get the UPS delivery until 4:30, and I was a little concerned. ALOT concerned. The bridge humbucker was floating around inside of the routing (how LOW can you GO) and some of the tuners had some greenish corrosion on them - odd. AND she was really grimy. So I performed a miraculous makeover. Popped the pickguard, re-mounted the bridge pickup. Swapped the iffy machine heads for a set of Grover 406C mini-rotomatic drop-ins I had lying around. In the midst of the string change, the nut popped off (oops). Widened a bit for .10s, glued it back on. Conditioned fretboard with gratis 2012 PRS TY pack fretboard conditioner. Cleaned with gratis 2012 TY pack polish and cloth. Fresh set of .10s, stretchy-stretchy. Neck was fine, bridge needed some tweaking. Dropped in a 5th trem spring. Set pickup height. Plugged her in...WOO HOO.

It was probably more exciting to live through than it is to read about...but long story short, in under 2 hours I had finished her makeover, and she was stable throughout the evening. And sounded great. Whatever humbucker they put in the bridges at the time works quote well with the single coils - it's staying right where it is for now.

Back