Report - Euro S2 Studio Run

I’ve also got one, and am equally as happy. I didn’t get it as a super Strat. I got it for the neck/middle quack, with a quick switch to the humbucker for solos. Great for the blues. Oddly enough, it took three times as long to break in as any of my other PRS. Now that it’s broken in, it’s acoustically loud with really good clarity in every amp. And it’s blue.

I just played mine for a good bit lastnight... man, I love that guitar. As @dogrocketp said, the neck/middle tone is immense! Love the neck on its own as well, and the bridge humbucker is a wonderful match to the single coils. The singles are more defined, less bassy and wooly than a humbucker, yet still retain a thickness to the tone that I find lacking from most strats. It’s like when you play a strat, and then you hear an SRV recording of his Number 1, and hear that thickness and low gut punch of his tone. I’m not saying the Studio is all things SRV, it’s not, but it has that part down (and honestly, I would pick the Studio over most strats to attempt that tone, despite not being the same, it is closer than the thin, wiry tone most strats put out).

I’ve not owned a guitar that I’ve been so fully satisfied with from day one. I’m sure some of it is preference and it’s a specifically good match for me, but still, what a machine. Not only do I have no desire to change the pickups, I don’t even want to touch them, the heights are perfect... heck, I even made sure to get the exact same strings that came on it when I bought it!

I have a Vela and LOVE it. I keep thinking about an S2 Studio, but can't justify it as different enough from my Vela. I really won't entertain the idea of getting rid of the Vela because it's one of those "just right" guitars.

But.......the whole S2 Studio concept and execution is so darn good. The D-style single coils have a fantastic voice.

I have a Vela and LOVE it. I keep thinking about an S2 Studio, but can't justify it as different enough from my Vela. I really won't entertain the idea of getting rid of the Vela because it's one of those "just right" guitars.

But.......the whole S2 Studio concept and execution is so darn good. The D-style single coils have a fantastic voice.

You’d stand to gain the “in-between” tones from having a middle pickup to combine with the others - the studio is wired to not have the middle on its own, although I’m sure that could be easily changed. Just depends on if you like that sound. Or, you could get wild and add one to your Vela!

You’d stand to gain the “in-between” tones from having a middle pickup to combine with the others - the studio is wired to not have the middle on its own, although I’m sure that could be easily changed. Just depends on if you like that sound. Or, you could get wild and add one to your Vela!

I have a Strat for that in-between tone. Plus the Vela has a plate bridge while the studio has a trem so they will almost certainly not have the same attack.

I love the idea of a Studio, and I would adore it if I bought one. If I ever come across a great deal on a used one I'll probably snap it up. I do check Reverb to see what their studio inventory is about once every six weeks.....

Hmm. Is there any theory as to why Europe seems to get these limited editions runs before the USA (or even only for Europe)?
I mean, after all, PRS is an American company, and so... just wondering. :)

Need me to start sending links?:D

Nah, you know I keep my eyes peeled.

i1IOoP7.jpg

Hmm. Is there any theory as to why Europe seems to get these limited editions runs before the USA (or even only for Europe)?
I mean, after all, PRS is an American company, and so... just wondering. :)
We got more of them first. I knew I was in trouble when I saw the specs. When I played it, other than sounding new, it hit the right spots. Now I need a 24 fret studio. You can also spec out a limited run of almost anything PRS makes. They’re really good like that. You buy they make. When it quits selling they stop making. They can also test market things in much smaller quantities in Europe. A lot of companies do this in every business.

Good for our overseas friends. I’d like to see it come back as a regular production model, it deserves to be. I love mine to death, and nice to have a little variety at that price point.
Agree! I was pretty sure one of these would be my next one but they were limited and I could never play one. And, then the S2 594's were announced. Not that I would like both, but that would now be first in line.

Still, I think these should be a regular production model and think they would sell well.

Back