PRS Tremolo angle?

Random Gecko

Does anybody know anything definitive on how these are supposed to be set? A picture would be really helpful.

Basically, it's easy to set the angle on my Brent Mason as the body is flat so I can see that it's parallel without much effort but on the archtop of my DGT, it's not so easy. I found a PRS setup video where the guy says to try to get it parallel with the bit of the body between the pickups, but that causes quite a bit of forward slant, more akin to how you would set up a Strat. If I set it to 1/16" as per the PRS Guide to Setup on the site, it seems to have more of a backward lean, but I'm guessing that's correct?

Any help would be great!

[QUOTE="Random Gecko, post: 262929, member: 6271" I found a PRS setup video where the guy says to try to get it parallel with the bit of the body between the pickups, but that causes quite a bit of forward slant, more akin to how you would set up a Strat.

Any help would be great![/QUOTE]

I do set mine up like this more or less. The string angle is not acute this way relative to setting it with the "backward lean" and my feeling is that this should be better for tuning stability and I think the feel is little looser, which I like.

Does anybody know anything definitive on how these are supposed to be set? A picture would be really helpful.

Basically, it's easy to set the angle on my Brent Mason as the body is flat so I can see that it's parallel without much effort but on the archtop of my DGT, it's not so easy. I found a PRS setup video where the guy says to try to get it parallel with the bit of the body between the pickups, but that causes quite a bit of forward slant, more akin to how you would set up a Strat. If I set it to 1/16" as per the PRS Guide to Setup on the site, it seems to have more of a backward lean, but I'm guessing that's correct?

Any help would be great!

Additionally If there is a lot of backward lean then the bridge screws may need to be tightened closer to the body. Pics from your side would be helpful before proceeding to make adjustments. Here are pics of two of mine.

Last edited:
Wow, how low is your action/how high is your bridge pickup man?!

I have this currently, after messing with it this afternoon. It now pulls up to a tone pretty perfectly, so the low E goes to an F#, plus it feels super nice like this. Second pic shows a 6 inch ruler laying flat on the bit of body between the pickups and shows that the trem is still pitched back from that angle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks pretty much parallel to the strings to me now though.

FullSizeRender_zpsjhbfjvuv.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zps57cev3zm.jpg

Wow, how low is your action/how high is your bridge pickup man?!

I have this currently, after messing with it this afternoon. It now pulls up to a tone pretty perfectly, so the low E goes to an F#, plus it feels super nice like this. Second pic shows a 6 inch ruler laying flat on the bit of body between the pickups and shows that the trem is still pitched back from that angle ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks pretty much parallel to the strings to me now though.

FullSizeRender_zpsjhbfjvuv.jpg

FullSizeRender-2_zps57cev3zm.jpg
Well, I'm a neck pickup guy he he, but I think I could stand to lower the bridge pickups a little :).

Back