PRS Pickup info for different models? Pickup Swap wanted

legbuh

I am currently trying to find a list of pickups installed in different PRS models. Mainly because I have a newer SE Standard 24 that I am interested in swapping out the pickups for ones from a different model, if possible. It would be my first venture into that.

I have an SE Carlos Santana (with slash cut inlays), 2015 SE Standard 24, 2007 (edit, had 2008 before.. sorry) MIra and a 1997 CE 24.

As for the pickups I like, the CE and Mira are great. Different but still each are great to my ears. Even the SE Santana I like better than that SE 24.

Which pickups are on the CE 24 and Mira and would they be an easy swap into the SE 24? (I am comfortable soldering, working with electronics, etc, just never done pickups before). And would a pickup swap make the difference I am looking for (ie, sounding more like the CE or Mira).

Thanks!

Last edited:
The '97 CE24 is likely HFS/VB; the Mira is likely Mira pickups, but you can get definitive answers by emailing customer service with the serial number or MODCAT. Not sure if pickups are in the MODCAT, though.

They're almost all as easy to swap as each other. link

If the SE Standard 24 is a newer model, it probably has the 85/15"S" pickups in it -- WTF? I have the exact reverse preferences. Just kidding, preferences are like orifices -- everyone has them and makes rude noises with them.

Oh, and standard response: make sure you try to make the best of the pickups before you give up on them. You have to dial in your amp differently for every guitar, plus you can accomplish a lot by small adjustments in pickup height.

Cheers, good luck, have fun, and don't be shy.

The '97 CE24 is likely HFS/VB; the Mira is likely Mira pickups, but you can get definitive answers by emailing customer service with the serial number or MODCAT. Not sure if pickups are in the MODCAT, though.

They're almost all as easy to swap as each other. link

If the SE Standard 24 is a newer model, it probably has the 85/15"S" pickups in it -- WTF? I have the exact reverse preferences. Just kidding, preferences are like orifices -- everyone has them and makes rude noises with them.

Oh, and standard response: make sure you try to make the best of the pickups before you give up on them. You have to dial in your amp differently for every guitar, plus you can accomplish a lot by small adjustments in pickup height.

Cheers, good luck, have fun, and don't be shy.

Dusty's advice is sound!

Thanks, Dusty! If you ever want to do a pup swap let me know... :) I play a lot of blues and love the Mira and CE pups for that. Even the old santana SE has a nice sound I like.

I liked the standard se 24 until I played it back to back with the others. More of a rock sound to me. I have a couple other guitars for that. :)

Thanks, Dusty! If you ever want to do a pup swap let me know... :) I play a lot of blues and love the Mira and CE pups for that. Even the old santana SE has a nice sound I like.

I liked the standard se 24 until I played it back to back with the others. More of a rock sound to me. I have a couple other guitars for that. :)
I will try and hurry up and pull the HFS/VB pups from one of my SEs, but I'm epically bad about getting back to people about stuff, so don't hold your breath.

I do have a bunch of 7-string HFS/VB pups, but I doubt you have any use for them.

I was sort of joking, but if you're serious maybe we can do something. No rush. I haven't desoldered anything since HS when I worked at a stereo shop. lol.

In a little deeper digging into this it seems my 2016 PRS SE Standard has the SE Vintage Treble and Bass pickups already. Shame... they really sound nothing like the "real" pups in my CE. It's really the only PRS I don't really care for them.

Played my old SE Santana last night (first year with the slash inlays). This is by far one of my favorite sounding PRS guitars... It's not better, but different than the CE and Mira (and PS) that I have.

Compared to the 2016 SE Standard, though, it blows it out of the water. :) I decided to order some new SD Pearly Gates for the SE Standard. It's about time I get to modding anyhow. :)

I'm not a fan of the SE pickups either. Not compared to the core model pickups, at least.

Back