PRS Knob Puller Tool

Just received some knobs from crazy parts, and I have never changed them before. I think I like the microfiber cloth method the best (similar to shoelace), but I am concerned about the top/finish on my HBII getting cracked or otherwise compromised from the pull force. The only tool/method I have seen that would avoid that is the Stewmac knob/bushing puller (it's outer encasement holds in check, the surface from which the knob is being pulled). I would rather not spend $75+ dollars after tax and shipping to pull the knobs on this one guitar (I have no concerns of the wood being bent/cracked on my CU24s). Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the knobs (insert jokes in replies please) from both CU24s using a microfiber cloth with no issue. After feeling how much force it took, I don't have as much of a concern about the hollowbody top, so I will go for it at some point today on that fiddle! The CU24's look even more fabulous with the new knobs, and the new pup rings on the core finalized it's modifications for now. Still waiting on the ebony rings for the PS CU24 as they were out of stock when I ordered this stuff. Wish me luck on my hollow knob pulling (inserted this last sentence for additional joke fodder)!

Fracking medals are a bad thing in the states, FYI.

I put a couple of cloths around the knob and pry the knob up with two spoons opposite. Usually little force is needed thanks to the leverage.

I typed “fricking”, but spell checker kept changing it to “frocking”. Now a frocking medal sounds wrong. A de-frocking medal sounds really dodgy!

Let’s just leave it there.

Two spoons, one on each side, used as levers. It’s the easiest way to remove a knob.

Back