Pickups: SE Silver Sky vs. Core Silver Sky

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Simple question:

The polepieces of the pickups in both of my SE Silver Sky guitars are ALMOST FLAT.

Are the polepieces of the pickups in the Core version staggered, like they would be in a '62 or '63 Strat?

If you own both, how would you compare the sound?

Last edited:
Image from Reverb -

Kind of interesting that they're staggered. More like the 50's and 60's Strat pickups. Not quite exactly the same stagger tho.

Back in the 50's and 60's most players were using a wound G string and a lot of us were even using flatwound strings.

I was. George Harrison was. Didn't know any better.

The Silver Sky set above above looks like the polepieces are set to match the arch of the fingerboard or arch of the underside of the strings, rather than to compensate for volume differences of the individual strings like the vintage Strat pickups were.

In the SS set it looks like the two E string poles are the same height and flat with the cover and then the polepieces are raised uniformly until they're highest under the G and D string.

In a vintage set that's not the case. The B string polepiece is the lowest.

Both Core and SE pickup poles follow the string radius. I can see the radius on my SE pickups. The E poles are flush and the middle poles are proud of the surface. It doesn’t appear to be as pronounced as the core pickups most likely since the core has the 7.25”R and SE the 8.5”R

Back