Peter Frampton - Never Say Never Tour (plus an SC245!)

shinksma

What? I get a title?
We recently saw Peter Frampton on his "Never Say Never" tour - he's clearly having a great time, and still has his chops.

His muscle disorder means he sits down the whole time (and uses a cane and a bit of help to get on/off stage), but his energy is huge, and his grin, especially during the final song (spoilers!), is contagious. The rest of the band also sits the entire time, which was cool.

He played a lot of Gibson electrics, obviously (LPs and 335-types), as did his main rhythm guitarist Adam Lester (who got a few chances to do some tasty leads plus a nice guitar duel with Peter). Not sure which brand of acoustics they all played.

Peter did pull out a Gretsch at one point, but the non-Gibby electric that Adam played was the one pictured below (care of an older M-B promo photo, lol), which seems to be an SC245. It sounded great!

I suggest, if you like his music, get out there and see Peter Frampton and his great band - the show is an aural treat, and they are all having a blast! He might try to do another tour after this one, if he can, but hey, see him this time around!

EDIT: I need to upload some of the concert pics I took, but that may not be right away, so I just posted this while I thought if it.)

Adam-Lester-400.jpg

Seen Frampton many times and opened for him a couple. Didn't get to meet him though. Last time I saw him, the main rhythm player was playing what looked like that guitar. Probably the same guy. Sounded great.

Thanks, Shiskma for posting this. Always been a Frampton fan, even in spite of his BeeGees thing.

I checked on his website frampton.com for places & dates, but alas, not to be in my area. However, what a great visual and audio experience at his site. First of all, one of the coolest web pages I encountered when logging in. Click on VIDEOS and you can watch performances from all the way back in '75 on Midnight Special to current instrumental interpretations of songs such as "Georgia on My Mind", "Isn't It a Pity," and an oh so beautiful version of Roxy Music's "Avalon".

The Midnight Special's performance is of "Do You Feel". Even if you've heard this song a thousand times, this video is worth the view just to see the exuberance on this boy's face as he wails on that Gibson. Also, a neat visual merge of the harmonies sung on the song.

Peter is the real deal, and it bothered no one more than him that for a time people tried to make him a sex symbol and forgot he was a damn good, original guitarist. I’m glad I got to see his Farewell Tour, and happy that turned out not to be his last hurrah. He’s one of the great guitar players of my generation, and one who managed to survive the craziness with humility and class.

He’s one of the great guitar players of my generation, and one who managed to survive the craziness with humility and class.
Yes, he certainly is. Always nice to see an artist somehow survive the insanity fame and fortune can bring. Joe Walsh and Pete Townsend come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Humble Pie was such a great band.
Oh, yeah! Absolutely love their rocked out version of Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat."

Yes, he certainly is. Always nice to see an artist somehow survive the insanity fame and fortune can bring. Joe Walsh and Pete Townsend come to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Oh, yeah! Absolutely love their rocked out version of Buddy Holly's "Heartbeat."

Joe Walsh has achieved national treasure status in my book.

Back