Nitro burn on headstock

Oh wow. I’ve heard of that happening.
Post a pic so everybody has a better idea of what you are dealing with. I’ve heard of repairs to small finish issues being done with superglue and a razor blade. If too large of a spot is affected, you might be needing some refinish work.

Man, how do you post pics on this forum?

I did some research and saw someone use Mother's mag polish on it. Worked pretty well and got all the nasty black off. But unfortunately looks like it got through the coating almost down to the wood. Looks a hell of a lot better.

Can small sections of finish be touched up?

Man, how do you post pics on this forum?

I did some research and saw someone use Mother's mag polish on it. Worked pretty well and got all the nasty black off. But unfortunately looks like it got through the coating almost down to the wood. Looks a hell of a lot better.

Can small sections of finish be touched up?
You need to upload them to a 3rd party site first. Like Imgur, Flickr, etc

url= ]
52375552735_e6abe09971_k.jpg
[/url]20220921_162959

Well that seems to have worked for the most part.
This is after the polish removing the black tar stuff. Honestly looked like someone put a cigarette out on it.

As for the brand, some generic self locking wall hangers from Amazon. Something like 50k reviews.

I stripped the foam off of the arm. I was thinking about wrapping inner tube as a padding but may just wrap some kind of cloth on it.
I've gotta research what won't cause damage.

Bummer man. Use nitro safe stands and hangers. I use Hercules, others use string swing, there's even hanger socks you can use. Someone on here can chime in more on the last one.

I've been a Hercules guy forever and they are well worth it. They are nitro safe and lock in your guitar for added safety. We'll worth the cash.

Live and learn. It's not something I would have ever thought of.
I guess I've never owned a guitar with that kind of finish. My Fenders and Taylor aren't doing the same so I'll assume it's just unfortunately isolated to the one I spent the most on.

Well that seems to have worked for the most part.
This is after the polish removing the black tar stuff. Honestly looked like someone put a cigarette out on it.

As for the brand, some generic self locking wall hangers from Amazon. Something like 50k reviews.

I stripped the foam off of the arm. I was thinking about wrapping inner tube as a padding but may just wrap some kind of cloth on it.
I've gotta research what won't cause damage.
You might try going to Walmart and buying a piece of the white colored felt in the fabric department, 9”x12” for 32 cents, apply a small amount of contact adhesive to the hanger and let the adhesive set up, just enough to hold the felt in place, wrap and trim the felt to fit. Give it a couple days for the glue to cure before you hang your guitar on it.

Bummer man. Use nitro safe stands and hangers. I use Hercules, others use string swing, there's even hanger socks you can use. Someone on here can chime in more on the last one.

I've been a Hercules guy forever and they are well worth it. They are nitro safe and lock in your guitar for added safety. We'll worth the cash.
Yup on Hercules.
Love ‘em.

I know I’m expressing a very unpopular opinion here. But I’m agonna says it anywho…

This is another reason why my guitars are kept in cases. The tragic tale of the guitars that fell off the wall recently posted is another. The pics recently posted of the faded whale blue is another. Hey, I’m never going to mock or try to dissuade anyone who loves to gaze at these beautiful guitars as much as possible. But for me and my guitar family, I think we are going to always take the longevity focused in case route.
(As always, YMMV)

Last edited:
I know I’m expressing a very unpopular opinion here. But I’m agonna says it anywho…

This is another reason why my guitars are kept in cases. The tragic tale of the guitars that fell off the wall recently posted is another. The pics recently posted of the faded whale blue is another. Hey, I’m never going to mock or try to dissuade anyone who loves to gaze at these beautiful guitars as much as possible. But for me and my guitar family, I think we are going to always take the longevity focused in case route.
(As always, YMMV)
This.

Nothing good happens to a guitar hung out on a wall. Only bad things happen, like temp/humidity swings that occur many times during the day that affect setup and on dry days can cause fret sprout, and on wet days, ove- humidification swelling. Then there's dust, cooking oil grease that floats airborne through homes, causing sticky dirt and dirty pots, plus bumps and bruises. Oh, and fading of certain colors.

I don't know when this wall-hanging craze got started, I certainly didn't know anyone who did this coming up; but it's strange to me that people spend thousands of dollars on a guitar, and then willingly hang it out to get screwed up.
Hey! I have a ce 24 from 1997. I had to touch up the back of the neck and can tell you that zinsser bullseye amber tinted shellac is a spot on match. Use a small foam brush to apply.
They used a different type of finish in the late '90s, though it was nitro on the maple necks; later finishes are made with much less or no toner, and are infused and much thinner. It'd be best fo anyone with a recent model to double check using a wood blank before doing any finishing touch-ups.

Back