New McCarty CE24 - Trem Issues

slinky05

Changed from 10s to 9s, Lower 3 strings same gauge as the original light pack that came with the guitar.
Just slightly tapping on trem puts it out (mostly the G and B).
Big dives really puts it out.
I have had different opinions on what the likely issue could be.
When I bought the guitar unfortunately I did not test the trem with the original strings.
I hear no pinging or snagging on the nut.

You need to break that trem in. Beat the snot out of it for a couple of weeks and it should stabilize. Assume you have no strong winds with the locking tuners. If you do, change that. Pull string tight. Lock it. Tune it. Trim it. If that’s what you already did….nevermind :)

You need to break that trem in. Beat the snot out of it for a couple of weeks and it should stabilize. Assume you have no strong winds with the locking tuners. If you do, change that. Pull string tight. Lock it. Tune it. Trim it. If that’s what you already did….nevermind :)
The fact that the trem is super tight now - will there be more give as I beat the snot out it?
No need to make adjustments to the block to accommodate the change string gauge?

There isn't enough information. Is the trem parallel to the body? If not, you need to make it so. Then yank the snot out of it. The factory setting is about 4 mm off the body, but parallel to the surface. Is this a new or used guitar? There is no McCarty CE24, so knowing the model will help us give you correct information.

There isn't enough information. Is the trem parallel to the body? If not, you need to make it so. Then yank the snot out of it. The factory setting is about 4 mm off the body, but parallel to the surface. Is this a new or used guitar? There is no McCarty CE24, so knowing the model will help us give you correct information.
Its a McCarty CE, 24 frets. Where else can I find the model?
Was bought new.
As I am beating the snot, only G goes out. If I bend the string right after it goes back in.
Looks like the bridge is not completely parallel. What exactly do I adjust to fix this?

Was bought new.
As I am beating the snot, only G goes out. If I bend the string right after it goes back in.
Looks like the bridge is not completely parallel. What exactly do I adjust to fix this?
You should be able to find the model on the PRS website. Especially if it's new.

Normally CE guitars are bolt on. and McCartys are 22-fret.

Was bought new.
Looks like the bridge is not completely parallel. What do I adjust to fix this?
You should be able to find the model on the PRS website. Especially if it's new.

Normally CE guitars are bolt on. and McCartys are 22-fret.
Ok so its a CE 24.

Did you adjust the trem spring claw after you changed to the lighter strings? Any time you change string gauge on a floating trem you have to adjust the claw to accommodate for different tension. Same goes for different tunings.

Was bought new.
You can look for a video on YouTube, PM me, or if you’re in the DMV area, I’ll fix it for you. Take about 10 minutes.

Right. Just went through this after switching from 10's to 9's on my own CE22.

The string tension on the top of the guitar has to be counteracted by adjusting the tremolo springs on the back of the guitar.

In my case, switching to lighter strings made the tremolo lay down almost flat on the top of the guitar so I couldn't pull up on the tremolo and raise the pitch enough.

Loosening the string claw (just a little!) for less tension from the springs fixed it right up.

Go slowly and take your time until you get it just right.
I have a Custom 24 and a new DGT SE. Both trems are perfect imo, and I do not want to mess with them. I am considering going from 10-46 down to 9-46 - is this enough of a difference to alter the bridge @Lewguitar ?

Back