Nagging by Proxy

I have resisted A$$le and other “Smart” watches , well from a few reasons I am sure. Probably first, just a generational example, but just , they are a bit “Metro” for me. Not enough Testosterone…..I like big watches.( I don’t know about the new one) Kinda like a sporty kind of thing….. Big, bold, but not obnoxious. Diver type.

Put aside the “ Metro” vibe, size, and I wonder about ruggedness, are they sturdy? I just don’t need an electronic leash, or a Dick Tracey phone. I have seen blurps of the new add and I think they are upping their styling game..but still………….I’ll just make the choice between these couple!
I’m with you on that. I’ve got a Garmin Fenix 5x that keeps falling off my wrist, so I hardly ever wear it. The bands they make for these “smart” watches are worthless, they are flimsy and they don’t last. I found that in general I am very hard on watches, so that doesn’t help. The average watch only lasts me about 2 years. The only watches that I have which I have not been able to break are my Invicta Subaqua Noma IV dive watches. They are big dimension wise, they weigh a pound and are built like a tank. And yes, they are definitely very manly looking.

Like, to spend that money on a watch that will obsolete in a few years makes no sense to me. My 40 year old Bulova works fine still and looks so much better, and needs no charging!

I did do the Pebble watch if anyone remembers that, the first smartwatch. I still have it but it doesn't work and cost as much as a nice dial watch.

I sound like, curmudgeon-y but still like the old tech!

Last edited:
I've never owned a 'smart' watch - not unless you count those Casio 'Databank' Calculator watches of the 80's. Since I was old enough and financially able to buy my own watches, I have not bought anything other than a mechanical watch and in fact, haven't actually worn a watch for over 10yrs now.

I don't think I have been anywhere without some way of telling the time if I needed and where there aren't clocks (for example, out in the countryside, at the beach etc), I don't often need to keep a track of the time. When I'm having fun, time flies by. Pick up a guitar for 10mins, and next thing you know, an hour as gone by, waiting for that NGD delivery that's only 10mins away and that 10mins can feel like an hour - more if you have a watch on...

If I were to buy a watch today, it has to be 'mechanical' and I want to see the little gears, cogs etc moving too as that is a major part of the attraction of clocks/watches to me...

I've never owned a 'smart' watch - not unless you count those Casio 'Databank' Calculator watches of the 80's. Since I was old enough and financially able to buy my own watches, I have not bought anything other than a mechanical watch and in fact, haven't actually worn a watch for over 10yrs now.
I had a Rolex mechanical watch for about 25 years. Every few years I'd send it in for a tuneup because it would start to run slow. The last time I took it in, the jeweler said it needed a rebuild for silly money, but they were so in demand he'd trade me straight up for a new watch of equal value to the used Rolex.

I was tired of having it serviced, so I did the trade for a very well made electronic TAG/Heuer. That was 20 years ago. I wear it every day. It always runs on time. The batteries run for about 3 years.

My wife is still wearing the Rolex I bought her before I bought mine. Runs fine. I have to take my hat off to historically excellent watchmakers. 45 years (and counting) on my two pretty nice watches? And only one of them required pulling out the wallet? Seems like a relatively good investment in timepieces.

No one's going to wear the same smartwatch even a few years from now. They're disposable items. I realize the appeal, and hats off to those who want 'em, but I feel I have enough computers in my life.

Last edited:
Back