Nagging by Proxy

tiboy

My wife was in need of a new iPhone. While at the store she decided to treat me to the new Apple Watch Ultra. Then she departed to spend a few days with her niece and her newborn. So I did what many of us do when home alone. I cranked the volume on the amps. Five minutes in my wrist starts vibrating. The Ultra detected dangerous decibel levels. Unsaid by the watch-Turn it down! Five states away and she found a way to nag. If the watch advises me to pick up my dirty socks it’s going back to Apple.

My wife was in need of a new iPhone. While at the store she decided to treat me to the new Apple Watch Ultra. Then she departed to spend a few days with her niece and her newborn. So I did what many of us do when home alone. I cranked the volume on the amps. Five minutes in my wrist starts vibrating. The Ultra detected dangerous decibel levels. Unsaid by the watch-Turn it down! Five states away and she found a way to nag. If the watch advises me to pick up my dirty socks it’s going back to Apple.
I have resisted A$$le and other “Smart” watches , well from a few reasons I am sure. Probably first, just a generational example, but just , they are a bit “Metro” for me. Not enough Testosterone…..I like big watches.( I don’t know about the new one) Kinda like a sporty kind of thing….. Big, bold, but not obnoxious. Diver type.

Put aside the “ Metro” vibe, size, and I wonder about ruggedness, are they sturdy? I just don’t need an electronic leash, or a Dick Tracey phone. I have seen blurps of the new add and I think they are upping their styling game..but still………….I’ll just make the choice between these couple!

I will say my wife loves hers, and over the pandemic while I was downing magnums of wine and wheels of cheese, the watch helped my wife take off the rest of her baby weight.

She literally just stopped drinking, and did “Steps” or whatever the nagging app is that tells you to get up and move around every hour or so.

Her resolve was the most important part, but that watch actually helped her a ton, and she loves it. It may actually even be her favorite electronic item.

I have a Galaxy Watch 4 Classic with the bezel. Without getting into the "luxury" watch territory, IMO it looks most like a real watch; probably more masculine than the typical "modern" look. For me, some of the "smart" aspects make it a useful tool: contactless payment, important notifications without pulling out my phone. Annoying features, I just turn off. It doesn't tell me I'm too loud, but to the OP, you must be able to turn that feature off.

That said, I very rarely have a watch on if I'm playing the guitar.

it's neat that anyone would think jewelry was especially masculine. i know exposed screwheads are masculine, because they are all over my neighbor's ford raptor, like hand hewn beams in a fine craftsman bungalow.

lucky for me i've never had to be anywhere on time in my entire adult life.

Despite the fact I'm a geek that loves toys I've so far resisted a smartwatch.
Best of luck mate.

I've resisted the urge so far, but I can see me getting one in the next couple years. Biggest issues for me are that you have to move your arm for the steps, so that doesn't work if I'm on the bike or carrying something. And I haven't worn a watch in years. But some of the health stuff is sadly becoming relevant now.

I will say my wife loves hers, and over the pandemic while I was downing magnums of wine and wheels of cheese, the watch helped my wife take off the rest of her baby weight.

She literally just stopped drinking, and did “Steps” or whatever the nagging app is that tells you to get up and move around every hour or so.

Her resolve was the most important part, but that watch actually helped her a ton, and she loves it. It may actually even be her favorite electronic item.

My wife loves hers, even when it nags her to get up five minutes after she walked around.

Although my OP is factual, it was intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment. This is my third Apple Watch. I love it. While it is tied into the iPhone, it functions on it’s own. Apple Pay on my wrist is a favorite. My entire music library is accessible through ear buds. That’s huge when I want to listen to music at the gym. No lugging a phone. I even use it to scan boarding passes at the airport.

I've resisted the urge so far, but I can see me getting one in the next couple years. Biggest issues for me are that you have to move your arm for the steps, so that doesn't work if I'm on the bike or carrying something. And I haven't worn a watch in years. But some of the health stuff is sadly becoming relevant now.

My wife loves hers, even when it nags her to get up five minutes after she walked around.
You can get decent metrics from a ring. I got one mostly so my daughter and I could compete on our sleep metrics. It gives active calorie targets rather than steps targets, but gives a steps equivalence so you can thumb your nose at steps biased friends.

Although my OP is factual, it was intended as a tongue-in-cheek comment. This is my third Apple Watch. I love it. While it is tied into the iPhone, it functions on its own. Apple Pay on my wrist is a favorite. My entire music library is accessible through ear buds. That’s huge when I want to listen to music at the gym. No lugging a phone. I even use it to scan boarding passes at the airport.
i for one feel betrayed.

If the watch advises me to pick up my dirty socks it’s going back to Apple.
FB_IMG_1666928932452.jpg

Back