My S2 keeps going out of tune

Hubcap

Just got this S2 Standard used...my first PRS. When I first got it I'd pull it out of the case and the g string would be really flat. I put all new strings on it (10's) and now its worse...when get it out of the case to enjoy it, three of the strings have gone flat. I'm a little frustrated to say the least. Any Ideas?

Perhaps the previous owner was over-tightening the lock screws and they won't hold the string? Could be a lot of things. What kind of case are you using? Trem or no trem?

It came with the soft case, and has a trem. The locking tuners seem to be working but not sure.

Ok well if it stays in tune while playing then the strings are losing tension over time. This leaves only the tuners or the strings. Since the strings are new it may be that they just need to finish stretching. If it continues after many days then it's the tuners.

I changed the strings on Friday so they should be stretched out by now. What string gauge did the guitar come with, would string gauge make a diff? I've never had a guitar with locking tuners, is there anything special I need to do when re stringing? How much do I tighten the lock screws?

I appreciate the help guys.

We're happy to help. The locking tuners may be the problem. Or better said, your inexperience with them. If you only finger tightened them, they can slip. That happened to me early on. The non-wound strings will slip but the wound ones usually won't. You have to go just a little tighter than finger tight. Take a quarter and use that in the screw slot. Turn the screw down to finger snug and then turn 1/4 turn with the quarter. That's all it takes. Then tune up.

And, don't leave the string loose and put laps on the tuner. Just pull the string tight, then tighten the screw until snug, then 1/4 with the quarter. When you tune up it will tighten the string before about a half a turn. That is perfect.

Wait, you're upset because you have to tune your guitar before you play??

That's standard operating procedure with ANY guitar!

It's why pros who tour with guitar techs still have tuners on their pedalboards...because even a pro's guitars go sharp or flat during a set.

I don't get this post at all.

It's why pros who tour with guitar techs still have tuners on their pedalboards...because even a pro's guitars go sharp or flat during a set.

I think he was unsure because only 1 string was consistently out of tune. Then with a string change 3 strings started the behavior. Not that it was necessary. They are slipping in the lock. Happened to me when I first tried Phase 2's.

I'm not upset that I have to tune before I play, a small amount of tuning is normal...but the amount it's going out of tune is excessive. I think my inexperience with the locking tuners is my problem. I'll give the quarter a try and see what happens. Thanks AP515 for the tips.

Apologies if you've already considered this, but is it going out of tune in the case? Mine always do in the PRS gigbags. The tuning keys get jostled im there. Usually especially the D and G.

Pretty sure what Andy said above...they get bumped around...not bad, but tuning is a precise thing, so any movement will change it...plus what Les said...I have a tuner sitting out on my bench, probably like most everyone, to tune up before playing. BTW...They are great guitars...Congrats, and enjoy!!!

Apologies if you've already considered this, but is it going out of tune in the case? Mine always do in the PRS gigbags. The tuning keys get jostled im there. Usually especially the D and G.

My thoughts exactly. It's particularly an issue (well, not really an issue) on guitars with large tuner buttons.

Stays in tune while I'm playing

Then you're good to go, my friend! Tune it up and rock on!

That make some sense, I'll try putting it in a hard case for a bit and see what happens.

...........what?:eek: ........you have to tune these things?:oops: ........I thought they came tuned up from the factoryo_O.
Man!!:mad:......just another thing to worry about:(........and i was just figuring out how to hold a pick:p.

not trying to patronise in any way m8 but do you stretch the strings out when you restring? I don't mean by playing on them, I mean grabbing them along the length away from the fretboard and actually stretching. If you give them a firm pull and repeat along the length it saves all that messing around the next few times you pick it up.

The only other thing I can think of is that one or more fo your tuners are stuffed, or your nut is binding like on a les paul, or your guitar is exposed to temperature and humidity changes.

not trying to patronise in any way m8 but do you stretch the strings out when you restring? I don't mean by playing on them, I mean grabbing them along the length away from the fretboard and actually stretching. If you give them a firm pull and repeat along the length it saves all that messing around the next few times you pick it up.

The only other thing I can think of is that one or more fo your tuners are stuffed, or your nut is binding like on a les paul, or your guitar is exposed to temperature and humidity changes.
Yup, I stretch them. The guitar stays in the air conditioned house so temp and humidity shouldn't be an issue. I had another guy mention the nut binding...its a definite possibility. Thanks

Back